- A decision on whether Antonio Margarito’s boxing license will be renewed is expected to come shortly. Margarito’s one-year suspension in California expires later this week. An application with Texas’ Dept. of Licensing and Regulation that would allow Margarito to fight on the March 13 Pacquiao-Clottey undercard is still under review.
- Chris Arreola and Tomasz Adamek appear to be headed to an April 24 meeting on HBO.
- WBA lightweight champ Edwin Valero is hoping to move up to challenge Juan Diaz at junior welterweight.
- Miguel Cotto against Yuri Foreman on June 12 will be a PPV event.
- The March 20 Wladimir Klitschko -Eddie Chambers fight will also be televised on PPV. HBO did not have a slot available and ESPN didn’t have the budget.
- Golden Boy Promotions is working on televising the David Haye -John Ruiz fight for free on tape-delay an hour prior to the Bernard Hopkins -Roy Jones PPV telecast on April 3.
- A bout between Vitali Klitschko and Nikolai Valuev is in discussions. It would take place this summer in Germany. Don King , Valuev’s co-promoter, is holding out for a $4 million purse.
- Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero withdrew from his March 27 lightweight match against Michael Katsidis . Guerrero’s wife is battling leukemia and has recently undergone a bone marrow transplant.
- A junior middleweight bout between Carlos Quintana and Vanes Martirosyan is being discussed.
- The WBA is reviewing the Jan. 29 light heavyweight championship fight that saw Gabriel Campillo lose his title to Beibut Shumenov in a highly controversial split-decision. The scores were 117-11 and 115-113 in favor of Shumenov and 117-111 for Campillo.
- Junior middleweight Alexander Abraham (25-0-1, 17 KOs), brother of super middleweight Arthur Abraham , has announced his retirement from the sport due to unexplained dizziness. The 28-year-old last fought in May, winning by fourth round TKO over Magomed Abdurakhmanov .
- On Feb. 12, ESPN2 Friday Night Fights will feature:
Ji-Hoon Kim (19-5, 16 KOs) against Tyrone Harris (24-5, 16 KOs) in a junior lightweight fight.
Ruslan Provodnikov (14-0, 9 KOs) versus Javier Jauregui (53-16-2, 36 KOs) in a junior welterweight bout.
- Top Rank is featuring a PPV card from Las Vegas on Saturday, Feb. 13:
Nonito Donaire (22-1, 14 KOs) against Gerson Guerrero (34-8, 26 KOs) for Donaire’s WBA interim junior bantamweight title.
Fernando Montiel (39-2, 29 KOs) versus Ciso Morales (14-0, 8 KOs) for the WBO bantamweight championship.
Eric Morel (41-2, 21 KOs) against Gerry Penalosa (54-7-2, 36 KOs) in a WBO bantamweight title eliminator.
- Two-time Cuban Olympic gold medalist Guillermo Rigondeaux (5-0, 4 KOs) stopped Adolfo Landeros (20-13-1, 9 KOs) 28 seconds into the fight with a body shot on Friday, Feb. 5.
- Also on Friday, Glen Johnson (50-13-2, 34 KOs) TKOd Yusaf Mack (28-3-2, 17 KOs) in six. The win set Johnson up for a shot a Tavoris Cloud’s IBF light heavyweight belt.
- Tomasz Adamek (40-1, 27 KOs) battled his way to a 12 round unanimous decision over Jason Estrada (16-3, 4 KOs) on Saturday, Feb 6. Scores were 115-113, 116-112, and 118-110.
- Edwin Valero (27-0, 27 KOs) looked impressive in retaining his WBA lightweight title by dominating and stopping Antonio DeMarco (23-2-1, 17 KOs) on Saturday in Monterrey, Mexico. Demarco’s trainer Romulo Quirarte called the fight off after the ninth round.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!