This Week in Boxing: Rumors, News, and Results
- A decision on whether Antonio Margarito’s boxing license will be renewed is expected to come shortly. Margarito’s one-year suspension in California expires later this week. An application with Texas’ Dept. of Licensing and Regulation that would allow Margarito to fight on the March 13 Pacquiao-Clottey undercard is still under review.
- Chris Arreola and Tomasz Adamek appear to be headed to an April 24 meeting on HBO.
- WBA lightweight champ Edwin Valero is hoping to move up to challenge Juan Diaz at junior welterweight.
- Miguel Cotto against Yuri Foreman on June 12 will be a PPV event.
- The March 20 Wladimir Klitschko -Eddie Chambers fight will also be televised on PPV. HBO did not have a slot available and ESPN didn’t have the budget.
- Golden Boy Promotions is working on televising the David Haye -John Ruiz fight for free on tape-delay an hour prior to the Bernard Hopkins -Roy Jones PPV telecast on April 3.
- A bout between Vitali Klitschko and Nikolai Valuev is in discussions. It would take place this summer in Germany. Don King , Valuev’s co-promoter, is holding out for a $4 million purse.
- Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero withdrew from his March 27 lightweight match against Michael Katsidis . Guerrero’s wife is battling leukemia and has recently undergone a bone marrow transplant.
- A junior middleweight bout between Carlos Quintana and Vanes Martirosyan is being discussed.
- The WBA is reviewing the Jan. 29 light heavyweight championship fight that saw Gabriel Campillo lose his title to Beibut Shumenov in a highly controversial split-decision. The scores were 117-11 and 115-113 in favor of Shumenov and 117-111 for Campillo.
- Junior middleweight Alexander Abraham (25-0-1, 17 KOs), brother of super middleweight Arthur Abraham , has announced his retirement from the sport due to unexplained dizziness. The 28-year-old last fought in May, winning by fourth round TKO over Magomed Abdurakhmanov .
- On Feb. 12, ESPN2 Friday Night Fights will feature:
Ji-Hoon Kim (19-5, 16 KOs) against Tyrone Harris (24-5, 16 KOs) in a junior lightweight fight.
Ruslan Provodnikov (14-0, 9 KOs) versus Javier Jauregui (53-16-2, 36 KOs) in a junior welterweight bout.
- Top Rank is featuring a PPV card from Las Vegas on Saturday, Feb. 13:
Nonito Donaire (22-1, 14 KOs) against Gerson Guerrero (34-8, 26 KOs) for Donaire’s WBA interim junior bantamweight title.
Fernando Montiel (39-2, 29 KOs) versus Ciso Morales (14-0, 8 KOs) for the WBO bantamweight championship.
Eric Morel (41-2, 21 KOs) against Gerry Penalosa (54-7-2, 36 KOs) in a WBO bantamweight title eliminator.
- Two-time Cuban Olympic gold medalist Guillermo Rigondeaux (5-0, 4 KOs) stopped Adolfo Landeros (20-13-1, 9 KOs) 28 seconds into the fight with a body shot on Friday, Feb. 5.
- Also on Friday, Glen Johnson (50-13-2, 34 KOs) TKOd Yusaf Mack (28-3-2, 17 KOs) in six. The win set Johnson up for a shot a Tavoris Cloud’s IBF light heavyweight belt.
- Tomasz Adamek (40-1, 27 KOs) battled his way to a 12 round unanimous decision over Jason Estrada (16-3, 4 KOs) on Saturday, Feb 6. Scores were 115-113, 116-112, and 118-110.
- Edwin Valero (27-0, 27 KOs) looked impressive in retaining his WBA lightweight title by dominating and stopping Antonio DeMarco (23-2-1, 17 KOs) on Saturday in Monterrey, Mexico. Demarco’s trainer Romulo Quirarte called the fight off after the ninth round.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?