This Week in Boxing: Rumors, News, and Results
- Golden Boy Promotions’ Oscar De la Hoya was quoted as saying that a May fight between Floyd Mayweather and Shane Mosley is “not too far away” from being completed.
A Mayweather advisor stated that any opponent of Floyd’s would have to submit to random blood and urine testing.
- Kelly Pavlik vs. Sergio Martinez on April 17 has been in discussions but has run into money and scheduling conflicts.
- There has been some chatter about the possibility of Andre Berto facing Paulie Malignaggi in his next fight.
- Allan Green will replace Jermain Taylor in Showtime's Super Six tournament. Green had been scheduled to face Sakio Bika on Feb. 5 in a box-off to determine Taylor's replacement, but Bika withdrew. Green will fight Andre Ward on April 17.
- Joshua Clottey is reuniting with trainer Godwin Kotey for the Manny Pacquiao fight. The two last worked together in 2004.
- The Wladimir Klitschko vs. Eddie Chambers fight on March 20 has still not been picked up by American television.
- Cruiserweight champ Tomasz Adamek has beefed up to 222 pounds of “muscle and power” for his Feb. 6 fight against Jason Estrada.
- The Feb. 20 Evander Holyfield vs. Frans Botha fight has been postponed due to the promoter failing to make a scheduled payment. They are attempting to reschedule for March 6.
- Trainer Freddie Roach has stated that he is not interested in Amir Khan fighting his mandatory challenger Marcos Maidana. Roach said that he was asked if they would be interested in fighting Juan Manuel Marquez, to which Roach said yes.
- Roger Mayweather, uncle and trainer of Floyd Mayweather, failed to appear in court on Tuesday for an arraignment on the charges that he beat and choked a female boxer last August. The hearing was rescheduled for Thursday with a warning that a warrant would be issued for Mayweather’s arrest if he is not there.
- Two-time heavyweight champ Riddick Bowe is planning a return to the ring at the age of 42 and is looking to fight Juan Carlos Gomez.
- David Haye vs. John Ruiz has been made official. It will take place on April 3 at the MEN Arena in Manchester, UK.
- Victor Ortiz will take on Hector Alatorre in a junior welterweight bout on Feb 25.
- Glen Johnson vs. Yusaf Mack has been rescheduled for Feb 6 on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights.
- Yuriorkis Gamboa (17-0, 15 KOs) annihilated Roger Mtagwa (26-14-2, 18 KOs) in two rounds on Saturday. Gamboa’s speed and power were too much for Mtagwa who suffered three knockdowns in the fight.
- Also on Saturday, Juan Manuel Lopez (28-0, 25 KOs) won via seventh round TKO over Steve Luevano (37-2, 15 KOs). Luevano boxed effectively early, but Lopez was able to work his way inside where he took control of the fight with hard combinations.
- IBF junior flyweight champion Brian Viloria (26-3, 15 KOs) was TKOd and dethroned in 12 by Carlos Tamara (21-4, 15 KOs). Viloria was in control until the eighth round when he began to tire and started taking punishment from the challenger.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?