So the conference championship games are set in the NFL, although we have to say we’re a little underwhelmed by the whole thing thus far. Maybe it’s the fact most of the playoff games have been ass-pounding affairs thus far, or the fact that the league lost its ninth player since 2007. Bears' Adams dies at 26" target="_blank">R.I.P., Gaines Adams.
On a much, much, much, MUCH lighter note, Maria Kirilenko outlasted Maria Sharapova in a first-round shocker at the Australian Open on Sunday. The match was notable for two reasons: 1) both players are incredibly hot; and 2) both players are incredibly annoying to actually watch, despite their hotness. Sunday’s snoozer turned out to be 3 1/2 hours of unforced errors and agonizingly slow play.
But hey, at least they’re relevant. Which is more than you can say for the Tiger-less PGA Tour, which completed its second event of the season to the delight of virtually no one.
And elsewhere …
- Vikings “totally classless and disrespectful” in victory over Cowboys, Keith Brooking whines whiningly (Jockism)
- Given Chargers blow chance" target="_blank">Nate Kaeding’s struggles Sunday, one blogger tackles the burning question: What the hell is going on with NFL kickers? (LT Sports)
- If Vols fans would take a deep breath and step away from the gun cabinet, they might wake up and realize they have a better coach now than they did a week ago (Andy Staples/SI)
- Too bad NASCAR’s actual races aren’t as entertaining as their media tours (David Newton/ESPN)
- Nick Saban quote: “I want everybody here to know this is not the end. This is the beginning.” Nick Saban translation: “I will be coaching the Dallas Cowboys by next weekend.” (Go Vols Xtra)
- Baby daddy drama for rock icon Van Morrison (Contact Music)
- And finally, behold (if you haven’t already) the majesty of Jose Offerman being Jose Offerman …