Final 2008 NBA Mock Draft In Light of Afternoon Trades
Several things have changed the shape of this draft in the last 24 hours. Jermaine O’Neal was dealt to the Raptors along with the 41st pick for T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, Maceo Baston, and the 17th pick.
The Nets have traded Richard Jefferson to the Bucks for Yi Jianlian and Bobby Simmons. The deal gives the Nets a young scorer with a ton of potential and saves them $10 million in the future. As for the Bucks they get an experienced player to help lead the young guys along.
Also, today the Blazers bought the 27th pick from the Hornets, and the Bobcats traded a future first round pick to the Nuggets for the 20th pick.
This is just the start of what should be several trades. All four of these deals have serious ramifications.
The Raptors are the big winners in the short term. They now can put O’Neal and Bosh on the same front court. This will greatly help Bosh avoid double teams and will add a new dimension to the Raptors offense.
However, the Raptors better hope this move makes them a championship contender because they can’t get another major piece. Between O’Neal and Bosh Toronto will pay over $75 million in the next two years.
After this, O’Neal will be a free agent, and Bosh can opt out. Meanwhile, the Pacers get their PG to run their fast paced offense. They will save around $14 million and now have two first round picks.
Nesterovic is an expiring $8.5 million contract that could be used in a Jamaal Tinsley trade. Most likely the Pacers will buy him out.
The other two trades don’t seem to mean much on the surface but are also important. The Blazers have been trying to get out of the 13th pick, so the fact that they acquire another pick is puzzling.
Rumors have been swirling about the Blazers trading some of their pieces, like Jarrett Jack and Travis Outlaw, to get a veteran player. The other first round pick might be the Blazers picking up a player after trading two or three players to bring back one major piece.
The Bobcats now have two first round picks and could use the two picks to move up. More likely it means the Bobcats are drafting a big man. They are targeting a Lopez brother.
With the Heat, Grizzlies, Suns, and maybe even the Pistons having kept quiet thusfar, New York will be chock full of surprises.
1. Chicago Bulls – PG Derrick Rose
2. Miami Heat – PF Michael Beasley; will then trade him either to the T-Wolves in a deal involving Randy Foye or to the Clippers in a Beasley & Marion for Bayless and Brand deal.
3. Minnesota Timberwolves – PG/SG O.J. Mayo; will possibly trade to Heat. Beasley and Jefferson could turn into the best young frontcourt the league has seen in decades.
4. Seattle Sonics – C Brook Lopez (pick could be traded to Clippers as long as Mayo is gone by #3, in which case they select Eric Gordon)
5. Memphis Grizzlies – PF Kevin Love (possibly traded to Miami with Mike Miller for Shawn Marion)
6. New York Knicks – SG Eric Gordon (pick could be part of trade to Phoenix for Leandro Barbosa, in which case the pick would be Russell Westbrook)
7. L.A. Clippers – PG/SG Jerryd Bayless (pick could go to Seattle, in which case they select Brook Lopez)
8. Milwaukee Bucks – PG Russell Westbrook (if Clippers and Sonics make trade then the Bucks will select Bayless)
9. Charlotte Bobcats – SF Joe Alexander (this pick could be traded to Portland; pick could indicate trade of Adam Morrison)
10. New Jersey Nets – SF Danilo Gallinari
11. Indiana Pacers – PG D.J. Augustin
12. Sacramento Kings – SF Anthony Randolph
13. Portland Trailblazers – SG/SF Brandon Rush (possibly traded to Clippers with Jarrett Jack and either Travis Outlaw or Martell Webster for Corey Maggette)
14. Golden State Warriors – C Kosta Koufos
15. Phoenix Suns – C Roy Hibbert (in case of Knicks trade they would select PG Mario Chalmers)
16. Philadelphia 76ers – PF Marresse Speights (Pick possibly going to Hawks along with Willie Green and Thaddeus Young as part of sign and trade deal for Josh Smith)
17. Indiana Pacers – C Robin Lopez
18. Washington Wizards – SG Courtney Lee (pick possibly going to Rockets for Luther Head and the 25th pick)
19. Cleveland Cavaliers – PG Mario Chalmers
20. Charlotte Bobcats – PF Darrell Arthur
21. New Jersey Nets – SG/SF Chris Douglas Roberts
22. Orlando Magic – PF Jason Thomson
23. Utah Jazz – C JaVale McGee
24. Seattle Sonics – PF Serge Ibaka
25. Houston Rockets – C DeAndre Jordan (pick possibly going to Wizards)
26. San Antonio Spurs – SF Donte Greene (Spurs repotedly have sent e-mail to all other teams asking for offers for this pick)
27. Portland Blazers – C Ante Tomic
28. Memphis Grizzlies – PF Alexis Ajinca
29. Detroit Pistons – PF Ryan Anderson
30. Boston Celtics – PG/SG Kyle Weaver
It’s hard to predict trades in the draft but it seems like a lock that the Heat will be involved in a major trade by the end of the draft.
Leandro Barbosa should also land on a new team.
The Grizzlies are poised for a move and the Clippers still have Brand and Maggette to trade. This draft has an air of uncertainty we haven’t seen in many years.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?