We’re not exactly sure why, but damned if this Mark McGwire story isn’t continuing to reign chaos over the sports media some 24 hours after his *cough* people *ahem* meticulously unveiled The Admission Plan.
Frankly, the whole thing seems like a colossal bunch of hooey to us. First of all, only an unfrozen caveman lawyer could possibly have been surprised by Big Mac’s revelation. Secondly, we’ve long held the opinion that if you’re dumb enough to ingest a testicle-shrinking drug purely for our entertainment, then huzzah to you. And lastly, we’ve never quite been able to come to terms with this whole notion that it’s somehow unethical to take steroids to hit more homers, but perfectly acceptable to get gassed up on amphetamines to play doubleheaders while hung over (see Baseball Player, 1960s).
But just in case you can’t seem to get enough of America’s McOutrage, here’s today’s cavalcade of media reaction:
- McGwire’s confession falls short (Ken Rosenthal/Fox Sports)
- NBC’s Brian Williams slams McGwire (Gawker)
- It’s time to forgive McGwire (Joe Posnanski/SI)
- Canseco: McGwire not fully forthcoming (ESPN)
- Opinion: Ban McGwire from baseball (Steve Wilstein/CNN)