With the Bears at 5-7 and, for all intents and purposes, out of the running for the playoffs this season, some Chicago fans will tend to stray off on to other sports, or in some instances, back to their families.
While I support people paying attention to their wives and kids (and husbands in some cases) there are still several reasons to keep watching the Bears this season. Here are 25.
25) Because they are still the Chicago Bears
24) Because it is Packer week.
23) Because one can hope that the Bears can ruin the Packers chances of making the playoffs...
22) ...And the Ravens chances of making the playoffs...
21) ...And the Vikings' chances of receiving home-field advantage.
20) Because they have a chance of beating Brett Favre...
19) ...In Soldier Field...
18) ...On Monday Night Football in front of a national audience.
17) Because you can watch the development of our young wide receiver corps with our star quarterback of the future.
16) Because you want to see if Jamar Williams' 18-tackle performance last game was just the product of a poor Rams team or if it was real and he could be a starter next season.
15) Because it is worth it to watch Johnny Knox and Danieal Manning return kickoffs. The bright spot of the Bears all season has been these two (specifically Knox, but Manning has come close to breaking one or two).
14) Because they are the Chicago Bears.
13) Because you can watch the offensive line, with Kevin Shaffer at the right tackle and Chris Williams at the left tackle, a tandem that could be there for the next five years if all goes well.
12) Because it's bad weather in Chicago, so you might as well stay in and enjoy some football.
11) Because listening to Jeff Joniak and Tom Thayer on the radio while having it synced with your T.V. is better than any duo that FOX can give you for any game.
10) Because it is Packer week.
9) Because the Bears have four weeks left and then we have to wait another eight months before we get another chance to watch the Navy and Burnt.
8) Because it gives you the chance to evaluate specific players without necessarily worrying about the outcome of the game...
7) ...Players like like Al Afalava, Kahlil Bell, Devin Aromashodu, D.J. Moore, Jaron Gilbert, and maybe even Juaquin Iglesias.
6) Because it gives you an excuse to read the sports pages everyday, scouring for a Bears article. Those will be hard to find come January.
5) Because it gives you a reason to take out your anger on a weekly basis at the television when Lovie Smith makes another terrible challenge call.
4) Because we are Bear fans and we should not (nor have not) found despair and disappointment as a surprise before. So why quit now?
3) Because they are the Chicago Bears.
2) Because it is Packer week.
1) Because the one saving grace to this season is that we can all sit there on our couches and take great satisfaction in knowing that this is Ron Turner's last hoorah.