After the last year and a half of "we'll have to get that fixed" comments by Packer's coach Mike McCarthy I think nows the time to consider a replacement.
For whatever reason there seems to be only excuses and no real progress in the present and future state of the Green Bay Packers. McCarthy couldn't manage his way to a win against the hapless Tampa Bay Bucs when he had a 11 point lead in the 4TH QUARTER! If that isn't an alarm clock going off I don't know what is. Yeah we can knock Ted Thompson for his passive approach to free agency or the offensive line's inability to block...anyone. Maybe Aaron Rodger's tendency to hold to ball like a kid who is going to take it home with him after the pick up game when he should be throwing it away. You can choose numerous ways this team has failed to produce wins. Fact of the matter is that Mike McCarthy is to blame. It's his job to prepare the team for battle and he just hasn't been able to do that. The Packers have ALOT of talent on both sides of the ball. More than enough to win with. Yet, they are 4-4.
New management is needed...and it's needed sooner rather than later! There are a lot of great candidates out there for the choosing but I have an interesting scenerio for all Packer fans... would you entertain the idea of ... are you sitting down?... hiring back Mike Holmgren? Before you call me crazy hear me out.
* He knows Green Bay...the team, the history, the town
* He's worked with Ted Thompson before
* He's does a great job working with the offense. Teaching, coaching, disciplining
* He's looking for a job
* He has a proven track record
* He has a street in town named after him for Christ's sake!
* The Packers could continue their fetish with hiring a head coach named "Mike" (Holmgren, Sherman, McCarthy) Just throwing that out there.
* Some of the players have worked with him before... ok, Clifton and Driver and maybe a few others
* He would come aboard with something to prove
Is this really hard to fathom? It might just work. I'm not saying it's the best option for the Packers but it is worthy of consideration. Bill Cowher might make for a good coach too but could you imagine seeing the walrus mustache on the Packer sidelines again? Just a thought...
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!