Time for round nine of this year's NFC West featured columnist competition!
For those of you who are unfamiliar with this competition, please click here for a brief outline of the rules, as well as a small bio of each contestant.
In short, this is a pick 'em competition. Contestants are in teams of two, each representing the team they write for on Bleacher Report.
Each week, I will publish an article which announces the picks, such as this. Additionally, I will publish a results article once the games are completed, which will include weekly and yearly standings.
Observations from Week Nine Picks
- Everybody likes the Falcons, Packers, Patriots, and...Seahawks? - This might not be so much liking the Seahawks as disliking the Detroit Lions...As one article on this site aptly pointed out: someone has to win! These were the only unanimous choices of the week, but there were a lot of all-but-one choices, which leads to the next point...
- The Underdog Is Back With a Vengeance! — A whopping 10 PICKS are Underdog Eligible this week. Underdog choices include Kansas City over Jacksonville (Dray), Houston over Indianapolis (Scotty and Steven), Chicago over Arizona (Rob), Carolina over New Orleans (Chris), San Diego over the NY Giants (Andrew and Steven), Dallas over Philadelphia (Seth), and Denver over Pittsburgh (Andrew and Scotty). The only person not partaking in the Underdog this week is Ron...Way to rain on the parade, Ron!
- Only One Split Decision —There are a number of heavily favored matchups this week, and a few close matchups that were still nearly unanimous in the competition. Due to this, there is only one split decision this week: Baltimore and Cincinnati. Rob, Scotty, Dray, and Chris selected Baltimore, while Ron, Seth, Andrew, and Steven sided with Cincinnati.
- Rally Weekend! - Last week saw the Seattle FCs take a commanding lead in the competition, but the competition is only halfway through, and this could the beginning of a rally for one of the teams currently trailing Seattle. As one contestant put it, it's time for an "epic comeback."
- Ron and Seth: The Even Couple - Ron and Seth agreed on a week-high 11 picks for week nine. The only games these two couldn't agree on were Tennessee/San Francisco and Dallas/Philadelphia.
- Chris and Steven: The Odd Couple - For the alleged start of the rally, these two apparently decided to go at it. They do have three Underdog Selections, however, and if those hit they could erase the disagreements costing them some points...
- Homer Alert — For the first time (and probably only time) in this competition, not a single contestant picked against his team. Rob and Scotty called Seattle over Detroit, Andrew and Dray picked San Francisco over Tennessee, and Chris and Steven chose Arizona over Chicago. Had the Rams been playing this week, this probably would not have been possible, but for now, the contestants can live in the joy of unanimously choosing their favorite teams.
Without further ado, here are the picks. Please comment below with your thoughts.