By Ryan of The Sportmeisters
Before I get into my Top 25, let me just say it was done prior to UNC-VT, but intermittent internet issues prevented me from getting this published. That said, let’s go to the rankings.
1. Texas (Last Week: 3) Next Game: 10/31 at No. 11 Oklahoma State
Texas took care of business looking like the team of 2008 and for that, jumps both SEC challengers for number one.
2. Florida (Last Week: 2) Next Game: 10/31 at Georgia
Tim Tebow has been struggling in weeks past, but usually steps up to the plate on must-win games. Georgia is a must-win game for Florida.
3. Alabama (Last Week: 1) Next Game: Idle
A well-timed field goal block by Terrence Cody keeps Alabama undefeated and fighting for a BCS Championship slot.
4. USC (Last Week: 4) Next Game: 10/31 vs. No. 14 Oregon
USC has the national title in their sights, but must take out Pac-10 upstart Oregon first.
5. TCU (Last Week: 5) Next Game: 10/31 vs. ULNV
TCU laid the smack down on BYU, putting them in full control to run the table the rest of the way.
6. Boise State (Last Week: 6) Next Game: 10/31 vs. San Jose State
How bad is Boise State rooting for Oregon, which would continue to validate the Broncos season-opening win.
7. Iowa (Last Week: 8 ) Next Game: 10/31 vs. Indiana
Iowa doesn’t win pretty, requiring another last-minute touchdown to defeat Michigan State, but they do win.
8. Georgia Tech (Last Week: 9) Next Game: 10/31 at Vanderbilt
Miami’s loss opens the door up for Georgia Tech in the ACC Coastal, who already hold the tie-breaker over Virginia Tech.
9. LSU (Last Week: 10) Next Game: 10/31 vs. Tulane
LSU’s defense really stepped up against high-powered Auburn holding the Tigers to 10 points.
10. Cincinnati (Last Week: 11) Next Game: 10/31 at Syracuse
The Bearcats jump into the top 10 thanks to a Miami loss and another convincing win.
11. Oklahoma State (Last Week: 12) Next Game: 10/31 vs. No. 1 Texas
WR Dez Bryant will not return this season (suspension), making the upset attempt that much more difficult for the Cowboys.
12. Penn State (Last Week: 13) Next Game: 10/31 at Northwestern
A classic look-ahead trap game. Ohio State is looming, as Penn State tries to stay in Big 10 title contention.
13. Virginia Tech (Last Week: 14) Next Game: 10/29 vs. North Carolina
Thursday night games are trap games, but Virginia Tech had an extra week to prepare for a lowly UNC squad.
14. Oregon (Last Week: 16) Next Game: 10/31 at No.4 USC
The Pac-10 has some competition now and Oregon’s comeback from their week one flop could come full circle against USC.
15. Ohio State (Last Week: 17) Next Game: 10/31 vs. New Mexico State
The Buckeyes bounced back and now have a non-conference game they should easily win.
16. Pittsburgh (Last Week: 17) Next Game: Idle
Pittsburgh gets to rest u, especially with three top 25 opponents on the schedule in the next four weeks.
17. Miami (Last Week: 7) Next Game: 10/31 at Wake Forest
The Hurricanes took a major step back with their overtime loss at Clemson and will need some help to get back in the ACC title hunt.
18. Utah (Last Week: 21) Next Game: 10/31 vs. Wyoming
A few losses helps Utah jump higher in the rankings.
19. Houston (Last Week: NR) Next Game: 10/31 at Southern Miss
Houston, led by QB Case Keenum, steps back into the top 25.
20. West Virginia (Last Week: 23) Next Game: 10/30 at South Florida
Don’t look too closely at West Virginia’s close victory as they played an emotional Connecticut team last weekend.
21. South Carolina (Last Week: 25) Next Game: 10/31 at Tennessee
It’s a battle of the mouths between Steve Spurrier and Lane Kiffin in this SEC matchup.
22. Oklahoma (Last Week: 22) Next Game: 10/31 vs. Kansas State
Oklahoma hangs around the top 25, but don’t expect too much noise out of them this season.
23. Notre Dame (Last Week: NR) Next Game: 10/31 vs. Washington State
Notre Dame hasn’t been amazing, but has performed well enough to merit a top 25 ranking.
24. Arizona (Last Week: NR) Next Game: Idle
The Wildcats will be watching USC-Oregon very closely to see who they have to beat as they look for the Pac-10 title.
25. Mississippi (Last Week: NR) Next Game: 10/31 at Auburn
The SEC controls a quarter of the top 25 rounded out by Mississippi joining the fray.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!