(Thompson, CT) The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour will wrap up this weekend with the season finale at Thompson International Speedway. Donny Lia will look to get his second championship. Over the year, the season started where defending champion Ted Christopher left off. He picked up with two wins and three poles. Christopher's point lead would continue until Martinsville. Christopher had some problems with the car and would end up finishing 30th. Christopher would head to Stafford with the point lead with a one point lead over Donny Lia. With rain on Saturday at Stafford, NASCAR made qualifying on Sunday. Donny Lia would grab the pole for that event. For Ted Christopher, the problems would just begin. Christopher had to pit early in the race and make his through the front. Christopher's trouble would continue as he got caught up in an accident that would make him go 50 laps down. Lia would end up leading 99 laps and winning the Carquest Fall Final at Stafford. Ted Christopher would finish in the 31st position and end up losing the point lead.
Heading into this weekend at Thompson Donny Lia has a 26 point lead over Ryan Preece. Preece has two wins at Riverhead and Stafford. Practice for the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour will be held at 11 am on Saturday with qualifying be held at 2:30. The 150 lap race will be held at 3:30.
Other News and Notes
* There will be other championship races this weekend at Thompson. The ISMA Supermodifieds will up wrap their season. Point Leader Chris Perley has a 271 point lead over Mark Sammut.
* In the Pro 4 Modifieds, Norm Wrenn picked up his tenth win of the season two weeks ago at Twin State Speedway in Claremont, NH. Wrenn has a 70 point lead over Brian Vincent.
* The All Star Race Trucks will be making their second appearance of the season at Thompson. John St. Germain out of White Sand Lake, NY grabbed the win in June. Andy Lindeman is the point leader with a 95 point lead over John St. Germain. The Rookie Of The Year points battle is close as St. Germain has a 21 point lead over Brandon Warren. Warren won the last at Monadnock Speedway last month
* Fans will get a real treat this weekend as Thompson International Speedway will host 15 races this weekend over a three day period. Practice and Qualifying will be held on Friday and Saturday. Fans will get to see 9 feature races on Saturday and six feature races on Sunday. From the Modifieds, to late models, to midgets, to trucks. It's one of the biggest fall classics in New England.
* With forecasts in the New England region calling for rain this upcoming weekend. In case this weekend has to be postponed. It will be made up next weekend October 23rd-25th.