As I sit on my couch preparing for a rousing MNF game, Jets at Dolphins real exciting, a 30 at 30 update came on. They were talking about the Yankees' win to sweep the Twins. They showed a clip of A-Rod hitting a home run in the top of the seventh of Twins' right hander Carl Pavano. But it wasn't the Yankees tying the game that irritate me.
As the ball left the yard I hear a voice, Yankees "iconic announcer" John Sterling. He said, "An A-Bomb from A-Rod." When the update ended I find myself, still on the couch, yelling an "An A-Bomb from A-Rod." As I catch my breath I repeat it over and over again.
Then I yell it one more time, "An A-Bomb from A-Rod." it was just then I realized it. "Wow!" This is the stupidest saying ever. It makes no sense. Lets break it down.
1. It doesn't rhyme and it is not even close to rhyming. Bomb, Rod?
2. Improper English. An A? How about "that’s A bomb from A-Rod." ex. How would it sound if I say, "A-Rod hit an a Homer."
After I realized how much I dislike John Sterling's choice of words I get on my laptop and started to investigate. I came to stumble across a list of phrases the Yankees' "Voice" had said. Here are a few of my personal favorites.
1. "It's a Tex Message!" (Mark Teixeira)- must I explain.
2. "Robbie Cano Don't You Know" (Robinson Cano) - well at least this one rhymes.
3. "X marks the spot" (Xavier Nady)-I hope everyone brings their treasure map for the game. Xavier is defiantly a treasure...
4. "Swish It Away" (Nick Swisher) - I think he is referring to Swisher's team leading 126 strikeouts.
It is okay Mr. Sterling; I don't think everything you say is bad.
1. "El Capitano" (Derek Jeter) - I guess he was doing an ESPN Deportees segment.
2. "Brosius the Ferocious" (Scott Brosius) - This one is clever.
3. "It's a Thrilla - By Godzilla!" (Hideki Matsui)- He really is getting his rhymes down.
Since the Sterling inspired me so much I decided to come up with my own sayings
1. "Jeter hit the heater."- got to love those fastballs
2. "Swish missed the fish."- ..... he missed it 126 times
3. "Teixeira is my hera"- ops I meant hero
So all you Yankee fans, please listen this coming week to Mr. Sterling and his colorful words of amazingnessism.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!