- Last night Roberto Luongo made his case for Steve Mason’s spot on Canada’s Olympic team. Luongo continued to struggle giving up four goals on twelve shots. Yeeeee-ikes. Andrew Raycroft (no way!) came in for relief and had a pretty good game. Goalie controversy? Let’s be honest. The only controversy regarding Raycroft is whether or not he got Luongo’s coffee this morning.
- Tonight Pierre McGuire called Pascal Leclaire “the best goaltender in Ottawa’s history since 1993.” Somewhere Alex Auld is saying “Wait a second.”
- Semyon Varlamov had a big opportunity tonight to show that he is the number one goalie in Washington. He gave up four goals on 25 shots. Not a strong case.
- More goalie news! My Daily Goalie Start campaign is going swimmingly – so far. I’ve only gotten 1 wrong. Updates may come later in the day from now on because my Internet connection at work is not always the best. But they will be there. Thanks for the support. Remember, if you have heard or read anything about any starting goalie, post it in the comments.
- The Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin line continues to click – and they will all year. They combined for eight points tonight. Another two goals for Ovechkin. I wish I had TSN2.
- Claude Giroux has not come out to a fast start. He only has one assist and is only averaging about eleven minutes per game, with literally seconds of powerplay time in two games. I kind of expected this from him, after I learned that he would be on the third line with JVR. I am going to be patient, as you should because he is going to be a stud.
- F@#& my forwards tonight!!! Hemsky, Giroux, Briere, Tanguay, B. Richards and Thornton combined for a goal and -4. BRUTAL!
- Can someone tell Alice Hemsky that the season has started. This guy gives me fits.
- Matt Carle with four assists! Is this finally the year he makes good on the built up hype from 3 years ago? Regardless, pick him up in your fantasy league because he is on one of the two powerplay lines in Philly and is playing 5 on 5 with Pronger. Those are good enough reasons to pick him up.
- Maybe think about dropping Cam Barker, who is no longer on the powerplay in favor of Brent Seabrook.
- Hey, how about that Michael Del Zotto. Doesn’t look out of place on the Rangers’ powerplay. He definitely deserves a look on your fantasy team. If someone has already snatched him up, take a look at Hoby Baker, I mean, Matt Gilroy.
- What a game between the Tigers and the Twins. WTF was Ryan Raburn doing? OMFG. No doubles defense means nothing over your head. That includes balls that go over your glove because of a bad read.
- Still watching the game. This game should continue to be played because of a bases loaded missed bean ball on Brandon Inge.
- The biggest winner in this game is the Yankees. Extra innings are going to cost the Tigers or Twins their pitching strength tomorrow.