NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
🚨 Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals
Dave Thompson/Getty Images

5 Potential Future Opponents for WBO Super Welterweight Champion Liam Smith

Rob LancasterDec 22, 2015

Having made a successful first defence of his WBO super welterweight title, Liam "Beefy" Smith (22-0-1, 12 KOs) now wants to face the biggest names in the division.

Beefy—one of four boxing brothers—stopped challenger Jimmy Kelly in Round 7 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England.

Smith's seventh successive victory inside the distance sets him up for tougher challenges.

It has not yet been decided when he will return to the ring. There is the possibility of the Liverpudlian defending his belt in his backyard on a BoxNation card at the Echo Arena on February 13.

However, per BoxNation on Twitter, Smith is unsure of his next move just yet: "I'd love to be out in February. I'm going to make a decision in a couple of days."

Smith fought in October—winning the WBO strap by stopping American John Thompson—and December, so another bout early in 2016 may be asking too much.

Here, Bleacher Report has picked out five potential opponents for the 27-year-old.

Honourable Mentions

1 of 6

Smith, as a world champion, does not need to have any more defences against opponents of the calibre of Jimmy Kelly, and that is not a slur on the abilities of the brave challenger.

As Beefy told Micheal McKenna of the Liverpool Echo: "Jimmy Kelly is a very good fighter but I was mentally and physically much stronger than him. I said he wasn't ready for me, and as bigheaded as that may sound, I don't mean it like that. I was where he is now, three years ago."

The super welterweight division contains options. Lots of options. Just take a look at who The Ring magazine has in its top 10.

Twins Jermell and Jermall Charlo are unbeaten and already have one world title in the family, with the latter holding the IBF strap.

However, neither made the top five potential foes for Smith.

Vanes Martirosyan, who was born in Armenia but is now based in the United States, is another intriguing name in the top 10 that missed out.

Meanwhile, Frenchman Michel Soro is ranked highly by the WBO, according to FightNews.com

However, Soro moved up to middleweight in 2015, becoming the European champion at 160 pounds by knocking out Emanuele Blandamura in June.

5. Miguel Cotto

2 of 6

After a defeat to Saul Alvarez at a catchweight of 155 pounds, Miguel Cotto's next move could be to drop down a division.

He is a former world champion at super welter, and facing Smith would offer the opportunity to win a major title again at the 154-pound limit.

Beefy would relish the chance to face Cotto, per Behind The Gloves: "Cotto’s been a great champion and to share the ring with him and beat him will take me to that next level. I definitely believe I have what it takes to overcome him because my style would cause him some big problems."

But, would Cotto—who is now 35—want to deal with a pressure fighter like Smith, who has yet to build a reputation beyond British shores, at this stage of his career?

It is likely the Puerto Rican (40-5, 33 KOs) has bigger fish to fry. 

4. Demetrius Andrade

3 of 6

After a frustrating period of inactivity, Demetrius Andrade (22-0, 15 KOs) finally returned to action on October 17.

He stopped Dario Fabian Pucheta in Round 2 in his first fight since June 2014. In the lengthy gap between those bouts, Andrade had been stripped of the WBO title.

James Stillerman of East Side Boxing explained why Andrade's issues with promoters kept him out of action for so long. 

Some of the big names at super welterweight have avoided the tall (6′1″) southpaw.

Now, though, Boo Boo can focus on his career again. Since he never lost his belt in the ring, why not win it back from the man who currently has it in his possession?

Andrade has previously faced English opposition—the last defence of the WBO title before it was taken from him came against mandatory challenger Brian Rose.

TOP NEWS

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet
Colts Jaguars Football

3. Erislandy Lara

4 of 6

If Smith wants to face the best at super welterweight, Erislandy Lara (22-2-2, 13 KOs) has to come under serious consideration.

The Cuban holds the WBA's version of the world title, a belt he successfully defended against Jan Zaveck on November 25.

Lara has already laid the seeds for a fight with Smith, too.

Beefy revealed to Glynn Evans of BoxNation: "When I woke up the other morning Lara had messaged me: ‘Let’s unify next year, champ!’ We had a very cordial, respectful chat (through social media) after. It’s great to now be associated with these names."

A former sparring partner for Ricky Hatton, Lara lost a contentious split-decision verdict to Saul Alvarez in 2014, while the previous year had seen him dominate Austin Trout over 12 rounds.

The clash of styles between Smith—a pressure fighter—and Lara, a technician who is skilled in making opponents miss—would be fascinating to see.

2. Austin Trout

5 of 6

Austin Trout (30-2, 17 KOs) will feel he is long overdue an opportunity to claim the WBO belt.

The American accused the organisation of dropping him from its rankings when the title became vacant. He even went so far as to file a lawsuit against the WBO.

However, he could become the next in line for a shot at the current champion.

In a post-fight interview with iFL TV, Smith said he expects Trout to be made his mandatory challenger, which means a fight between the pair could take place in the first half of 2016.

Trout is a tough mandatory.

His only career defeats have come at the hands of Saul Alvarez and Erislandy Lara, plus he has a win over Miguel Cotto on his CV.

1. Shane Mosley

6 of 6

Shane Mosley (49-9-1, 41 KOs) seemed set to be Smith's opponent for his first defence after the pair became involved in a Twitter spat.

However, the two sides failed to come to an agreement over a deal.

Mosley told Chisanga Malata of the Daily Star (WARNING: Linked article contains language NSFW): "Bottom line is Warren and Liam just wanted to use my name to get some press and I called their bluff and they got scared and needed a way to back out."

Smith, though, offered a different explanation for why negotiations broke down. Per David Anderson of the Mirror, Beefy revealed, "The WBO wouldn't sanction it."

Whatever the actual reason, both parties should now consider coming back to the table and trying again.

For Smith, Mosley is a great name to face at the start of what could be a huge year.

While the American may be (well) past his prime at the age of 44, he still has a big enough reputation to sell tickets and create media interest on both sides of the Atlantic.

Plus, Smith's swarming style would make it anything but sweet for Sugar Shane.

Do you agree Mosley makes the most sense for Smith? Have your say via the comments section.

🚨 Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals

TOP NEWS

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet
Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA

TRENDING ON B/R