For those who can tear their eyes away from college football on Saturday and are willing to shell out some cash for Pay Per View, something big is going down Saturday night.
Floyd “Money” Mayweather will return from his short retirement to step into the ring with Juan Manuel Marquez.
Mayweather stepped away from boxing in 2008 and his return seems to be for the purpose of getting a shot at Manny Pacquiao. Plus, we all know Floyd loves the money.
The build up to this figh has been going on for months. For those of you lucky to have HBO, the series Mayweather Marquez 24/7 has been following the fighters as they train for this bout. The show is worth checking out and gives a real inside look at the lives of the two boxers.
Both Mayweather and Marquez come into this fight as arguably top-five pound-for-pound boxers. This matchup is the most hyped boxing event since the Pacquiao vs. Hatton fight. Here are the particulars:
- Mayweather-Marquez Date: Saturday, Sept. 19
- Mayweather-Marquez Time: 10:15 ET
- Mayweather-Marquez Location: MGM Grand in Las Vegas
- Mayweather-Marquez TV: HBO Pay-Per-Piew
Comparing the fighters:
Floyd “Money” Mayweather
- 39-0-0 25 KO’s
- Age: 32
- Height: 5’8”
- Reach: 72”
- Champion in five weight classes
Juan Manuel Marquez
- 50-4-1 37 KO’s
- Age: 36
- Height: 5’7”
- Reach: 67”
- Champion in three weight classes
This is a matchup of two counter-punchers, meaning this fight will not likely end in the early rounds. It will be interesting to see which fighter will be the aggressor and try to set the tempo.
Keys to the Fight
- Is still undefeated. A zero in the loss column is pretty good by boxing standards I would think.
- Bigger, faster, and stronger than Marquez.
- Gets his knockouts by landing punches in large numbers and using combinations.
- To win the fight: Mayweather needs to wear down Marquez by racking up the punch stats and working for a late round knockout.
- More experienced than Mayweather.
- Adapts to opponents styles very well.
- Fighting with a purpose, as the Mexican Independence Day is Sept. 16.
- To win the fight: Must frustrate Mayweather with defense and look to outbox him with counter punches to work for a win by decision.
This fight can go either way because these are two of the best boxers of our generation. But I am going with “Money” to win this fight because he has the speed and strength advantage as well as the fact he is still undefeated. (The fact Mayweather is from Grand Rapids, MI might have something to do with it as well.)
My prediction: Mayweather wins by KO in Round Eight.
My quote of the month: “I feel like can’t nobody f#@% with me. I feel like I’m the best there is.” — Floyd Mayweather on Mayweather Marquez 24/7
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!