Week one gave us plenty of surprises. OU going down in Dallas was the biggest, but others such as Michigan looking to be on the rise, ND looking like they're in midseason form, Washington playing with a swagger, and Florida blowing out Charleston Southern were also head-turners.
Lol, see what I did there...I put Florida under the surprises to get a kick out of my audience. Humor, as they say.
Week two doesn't look to be as captivating as week one, but there are still more than enough games to look forward to.
Here are the games I’ll be paying close attention to (no specific order):
1) Mississippi St. @ Auburn - This game is intriguing to me because State looks like they are on their way to being offensively competent under Dan Mullen. Mullen is a great offensive coach, they've always played above average D in Starkville, but if they can start moving the ball some this game will be more than interesting.
2) Oklahoma St. @ Houston - Before the season, I circled this as being a game that could put up record offensive numbers for a single game. Houston and Oklahoma St. are both high octane offenses, but now that OSU looks like they've figured things out defensively, Houston might find it a tad bit more difficult to move the ball.
3) UCLA @ Tennessee - Both teams looked like they are much improved from a year ago. Anxious to see which team is REALLY primed to take that next step, my money's on the Bruins.
4) Clemson @ Georgia Tech - Should be an exciting Thursday night game. Battle of the two RBs (Dwyer and Spiller), it'll be interesting to see who gets the upper hand.
5. South Carolina @ Georgia - Don't pencil this as an automatic win for the Bulldogs. Carolina can matchup defensively; Georgia has issues on the OL and at QB. Expect a low scoring, physical, SEC brawl.
6. ND @ Michigan - Top two winningest programs in College Football history. Each program seems to be headed in the right direction, is ND for real? I think so.
7. USC @ OSU - For obvious reasons, I'm anxious to see if this 18-year-old kid can really walk into a night game at the shoe and pull this off. I just rationally can't see that happening, but these are the Trojans...
Now for my power 10: (last week's rank in parentheses)
1. Florida (1)
2. Texas (2)
3. Cal (5)
4. Ole Miss (4)
5. Oklahoma St. (8)
6. ND (10)
7. Alabama (7)
10. Penn St.