There's no doubt about it that the UFC is right up there as one of the top sports organizations in the world today. It brings in big audiences, which results in big payouts for the fighters.
With that being the case, fight website MMAWeekly has gotten it's hands on the salary and payout information for the fighters for UFC 102, which was held Saturday night in Portland, Oregon.
Promoters are required by law to submit the fighter's salary information and any included fight bonuses to the State's Athletic Commission. Just like any other North American sport, professional athlete's salaries are public record.
So let's take a look at how much the fighters made on Saturday night.
Main Event Fighters:
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ($460,000/includes win bonus of $150,000, and Fight of the Night bonus of $60,000) def. Randy Couture ($310,000/includes Fight of the Night bonus of $60,000)
- Thiago Silva ($58,000/includes win bonus of $29,000) def. Keith Jardine ($55,000)
- Jake Rosholt ($86,000/includes win bonus of $13,000, and Submission of the Night bonus of $60,000) def. Chris Leben ($30,000)
- Nate Marquardt ($140,000/includes win bonus of $40,000, and Knockout of the Night bonus of $60,000) def. Demian Maia ($28,000)
- Brandon Vera ($70,000/includes win bonus of $35,000) def. Krzystzof Soszynski ($8,000)
• Aaron Simpson ($18,000/includes win bonus of $9,000) def. Ed Herman ($24,000)
• Gabriel Gonzaga ($120,000/includes win bonus of $60,000) def. Chris Tuchscherer ($10,000)
• Mike Russow ($20,000/includes win bonus of $10,000) def. Justin McCully ($15,000)
• Todd Duffee ($10,000/includes win bonus of $5,000) def. Tim Hague ($7,000)
• Mark Munoz ($24,000/includes win bonus of $12,000) def. Nick Catone ($5,000)
• Evan Dunham ($14,000/includes win bonus of $7,000) def. Marcus Aurelio ($13,000)
TOTAL PAY: $1,525,000
My favourite is Tim Hague who made $7,000 for getting knocked out by Todd Duffee in seven seconds. That's $1,000 per second! No one makes that type of money anywhere. It must be pretty sweet to be Tim Hague right about now. You know, with the exception of being incredibly embarassed about being knocked out in seven seconds of course.