Sorry Portsmouth Lose to Inform Man City

Kieran Beckles@@kieranbecklesCorrespondent IAugust 30, 2009

PORTSMOUTH, ENGLAND - AUGUST 30:  Richard Hughes of Portsmouth tackles Carlos Tevez of Manchester City during the Barclays Premier League match between Portsmouth and Manchester City at Fratton Park on August 30, 2009 in Portsmouth, England.  (Photo by Phil Cole/Getty Images)


In a week where the blue half of Manchester City has mourned the loss of one of its greatest ever exports Oasis, Noel Gallagher spoke of his intent to spend the abundance of leisure time he now has on his hands “indulging” himself in his “football team.”

Oasis may have diverged but on the pitch Mark Hughes will be pleasantly surprised how quickly his multimillion pound side are evolving into a cohesive unit.

Meanwhile, Portsmouth commenced life under Arab business man Sulaimann Al Fahim earlier this week. A fresh wave of optimism blew across Fratton Park with the vocal home side in good voice.

A slow start saw Manchester City control the tempo of the game. The critics were quick to suggest that Hughes would find it difficult to maintain a balance in the City team.

So far the doubters have been proved wrong. Gareth Barry and Stephen Ireland looked impressive in midfield.

Barry regularly broke up any fleeting Pompey attacks, in turn allowing Ireland to orchestrate the Manchester City offence from his central midfield role.

Up front Emmanuel Adebayor and Carlos Tevez looked sharp. The duo provided the depleted Pompey defence with a constant headache all afternoon.

The deadlock was broken on the 26 minute mark. Barry whipped in a dangerous corner which flew on to the dreadlocked head of Adebayor. The Togo international headed firmly past Begovic to maintain his fine goal scoring form.

It was a deserved lead after a steady performance by the away side.

Micah Richards added a second before half time. A delightful pass from Tevez found the fiery Craig Bellamy. The Welshman had time to measure a cross, which was driven in by the City right back.

Unfortunately for Hughes, it was wrongfully ruled out after the assistant flagged for an offside infringement.

Al Fahim ventured pitch side at half time. He would spend the second half sitting with the fans in a move not too dissimilar to the now abominated Mike Ashley.

Portsmouth lacked cutting edge. Kranjcar occasionally looked to thread the perfect ball through the City defence but the chances were few and far between.

Former Aston Villa captain Barry was immense in midfield, snuffing out most Portsmouth attacks leaving an exasperated Al Fahim to watch on.

Indeed the chairman hailing from the United Arab Emirates was left to ponder the money he would need to pump similar to his compatriots at City in order to compete with the Premiership elite.

On 77 minutes John Utaka almost sent the home crowd into frenzy. His ferocious shot fizzed past the left post much to the relief of a grateful Shay Given.

David Nugent was introduced towards the end of the game. He made an instant impact forcing Shay Given into a save as Portsmouth looked increasingly dangerous.

Two late penalty claims for Manchester City were rejected by Howard Webb. The perfect start continues for Mark Hughes' men while Portsmouth slumped to four consecutive defeats.

Cash rich City will face two massive matches when they return from the international break. The visit of Arsenal and a trip to Old Trafford will be the real acid test for this impressive Manchester City team.