Link dump: Elmo shows WNBA his pimp hand
Historians no doubt will determine the exact date that the WNBA officially died, but we’re laying even odds that Friday, Aug. 28, 2009 will be high on the list of possibilities.
That’s because Friday was the day we learned that the WNBA Playoffs have been upstaged by Elmo, Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch (please, no David Stern jokes). The Slanch Report unearthed a blog post from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s website detailing the league’s scheduling conflict with “Sesame Street Live!” at Philips Arena in Atlanta. According to the report, if the WNBA’s Atlanta Dream (who are currently a lofty two games over .500) make the playoffs, the team may be without a home arena since the traveling children’s production has reserved the space from Sept. 17-20.
NBA fans will remember that the Denver Nuggets managed to overcome a scheduling quandary with WWE during the team’s playoff march last spring. Will WNBA officials be able to avoid a similar embarrassment, or will Bert and Ernie lay the smack down on their candy asses? Stay tuned …
On with today’s links …
- It took Joe Posnanski over 3,000 words to tell you what Kansas City fans could tell you about the 2009 Royals in three words: they blew ass. But for all you masochists out there, here’s the link anyway. (Joe Posnanski)
- St. Paul football opponent apparently not up for a little two-hand touch. (Sports Crackle Pop)
- Don’t toss that salad just yet, Plaxico. (With Leather)
- Baseball Reflections offers a fascinating analysis on the statistical sacrifices made by some Baseball Hall-of-Famers who served America during World War II.
- A stolen base record? In 2009?? (The Dugout Doctors)
- Finally, an environmental effort men everywhere can rally behind. (Sharapova’s Thigh)
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?