Chris Cooley: The best fantasy football value at tight end!
Everyone keeps talking about Chicago Bears tight end Greg Olsen making the jump as well as keeping Atlanta Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez in the top three at the position. I would not bother with either one and would focus on Chris Cooley in the middle rounds.
Here’s why: Cooley did not have a bad season last year; he just scored one touchdown. That was the big knock on him, but with an average draft position of 86th overall, the eighth round in a 12-team league, I find him the best tight end value in this year’s draft.
A few more touchdowns and he’s a top-five tight end last year, and we would be talking about him with a higher ADP! Cooley has already stated head coach Jim Zorn told him he’s going to see “at least” six touchdowns this year.
- He was the league’s most efficient tight end, catching about 75 percent of his targets, 83 of 111.
- He had his best year in receptions and yardage (83 receptions, 849 yards).
- He is the team’s best threat over the middle and can beat double coverage.
- The last 12 weeks of the season (11 Washington games), he averaged 5.5 receptions for 55.8 yards per game.
- He and quarterback Jason Campbell have a full season of experience in the West Coast offense.
- He saw 111 targets, tied for the third most among tight ends.
- He had zero targets inside the five.
- He only had 10 red zone targets.
- Defenses will focus on him in the red zone and inside the 10-yard line.
- He only had 91 yards during fantasy playoffs, Weeks 14-16.
(There is a high/low but I just want to present the raw numbers)
- Receptions: 69
- Receiving Yards: 759
- Receiving Touchdowns: 7
With another year of the West Coast offense one would assume the Redskins will be more efficient this year, and their receivers will understand the routes with better timing. Before last year he was averaging seven touchdowns per year so don’t view his touchdown projections as off the wall. That’s not a guess; that’s simple logic. Expect Cooley’s receptions to drop a bit but his touchdowns to increase. That’s what I’m banking on, and so should you!
What are your thoughts? Agree or disagree?
Don’t forget, I’m a “tweeter” and post what’s happening in a breaking or timely manner. I also point you to solid links outside the KFFL world that can help you win your leagues. Follow me.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?