With the 2009 season upon us, I thought it appropriate timing to list my top ten college football stadiums that I most want to visit in my lifetime. I invite you all to do the same. The only criteria is that you have NEVER attended a game there. Without further ado, here's my list:
1) Michigan Stadium (The Big House); Ann Arbor, MI - Hard to believe that I have been a U-M football fan for 30+ years and, yet, have never been to the Big House but I do have plans to attend a game ASAP. Can't wait to experience the ghosts of Fielding Yost, Fritz Crisler, Bennie Oosterbaan & Glenn "Bo" Schembechler...in person!
2) Tiger Stadium (Death Valley); Baton Rouge, LA - What can be more appealing to a college football fanatic than a warm, autumn Saturday evening in the Bayou...eating Cajun food, listening to cool jazz & talking Tiger football!
3) Bryant-Denny Stadium; Tuscaloosa, AL - The stadium that is named after Paul "Bear" Bryant has to be a must-see for any true college football fan!
4) Beaver Stadium (Happy Valley); State College, PA - There is something appealing about seeing one of those famous "whiteouts" on a Saturday night, live...plus, watching a legend like Joe Pa on the sidelines.
5) Neyland Stadium; Knoxville, TN - I think it would be cool to hear "Rocky Top" in a sea of orange. After all, it is one of the largest stadiums in America.
6) Notre Dame Stadium; South Bend, IN - Not a fan of the Irish but how can a college football fan not want to experience the awesome atmosphere & mystique that permeates over "Touchdown Jesus" & the campus on a fall Saturday?
7) Memorial Stadium (Owen Field); Norman, OK - Seeing the "Sooner Schooner" rumble across the field & feeling all that tradition & history would be a great experience.
8) Autzen Stadium; Eugene, OR - Yes, those uniforms are UGLY but there may not be a more intimidating & louder stadium right now.
9) Sanford Stadium; Athens, GA - Seeing Uga in person & feeling that Georgia tradition (Hershel Walker, for one) would be pretty amazing.
10) Bronco Stadium; Boise, ID - What can I say...that "Blue Turf" is very unique & I'd love the opportunity to witness it, up close & personal.
Honorable Mention: Camp Randall; Madison, WI - Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (The Swamp); Gainesville, FL - Memorial Stadium; Lincoln, NE
Well, there's my list. Hopefully, I will make it to most of them in my lifetime and hope you all do, too. I would love to see everybody's top ten list, so I invite you all to comment.