Burnley Beats Manchester United, Spurs Thrash Hull, Stoke City Demolished

Kieran Beckles@@kieranbecklesCorrespondent IAugust 20, 2009

BURNLEY, ENGLAND - AUGUST 19:  Brian Jensen of Burnley is congratulated by his manager Owen Coyle after the Barclays Premier League match between Burnley and Manchester United at Turf Moor on August 19, 2009 in Burnley, England.  (Photoby Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)

Chelsea def. Sunderland, 3-1

Carlo Ancelotti enjoyed a second consecutive victory in the Premier League as his side overcame Sunderland to go top of the pile momentarily.

The Italian made four changes to his Chelsea team that beat Hull City on Saturday with Ballack, Deco, Kalou and Ivanovic all coming off the bench to start the game.

However, it was Darren Bent who opened the scoring after he pounced on a loose ball and fired it past Peter Cech.

Chelsea was unable to make a breakthrough before halftime, with Ballack coming closest, having an attempt blocked on the line by Cattermole.

However, the German leveled the game just seven minutes into the second half as he squeezed the ball past Cattermole on the line.

Lampard added a second for Chelsea from the penalty spot as he propelled them into the lead.

Drogba had drawn the foul from McCartney in the box, earning the spot kick.

Deco wrapped a solid Chelsea performance with a shot from outside the box that beat the outstretched arms of Fulop, securing a 3-1 victory for the Blues.

Wolverhampton Wanderers def. Wigan Athletic, 1-0

Mick McCarthy’s Wolves battled to their first win of the season as they overcame Robert Martinez’s Wigan at the JJB stadium.

The Wolves enjoyed the stronger start with, Andy Keogh causing the home side's defense all sorts of problems.

Keogh rattled the crossbar with a ferocious effort before putting his name on the score sheet with the only goal of the match, as his deft header eluded Chris Kirkland in the Wigan goal.

Greg Halford missed a glorious opportunity to increase the Wolves' lead, as he thrashed the ball over when it seemed easier to score.

Both sides had penalty claims but the referee, Mike Jones, seemed in an ungenerous mood, waving them away on each occasion.

Scott Sinclair, on loan from Cheslea, had the chance to rescue a point for Wigan at the death but he was unable to direct his header into the net, as it glanced past the post for a goal kick.

McCarthy’s men held on for a crucial three points.

Burnley def. Manchester United, 1-0

The last time Burnley beat Manchester United in the top flight was in 1968, when United was the European champion.

It was to be another memorable night at Turf Moor over 30 years later, as Owen Coyle’s men produced a resolute performance.

Carrick and Owen both had chances to score before the home side took the lead after United failed to clear their defensive lines.

It eventually fell to Robbie Blake, who lashed the ball past Ben Foster to give Burnley an unlikely lead.

England international Wayne Rooney was left largely frustrated throughout the match as he had little clear cut opportunities himself and his teammates failed to capitalize on the chances he created.

Manchester United’s best opportunity came from the penalty spot after left back Patrice Evra was felled by goal scorer Blake.

Carrick took the penalty kick, but it was well saved by Burnley keeper Jensen.

Indeed, the Dane proved to be the best player of the night, putting his body on the line in order to protect the home side’s slender lead.

Giggs, Berbatov and Valencia all had opportunities to level the game, but Burnley held out to secure a historic victory.

Birmingham City def. Portsmouth, 1-0

The first half was a dull game with little to choose between the two sides.

Portsmouth gave a debut to their new Belgian signing, Anthony Vanden Borre, and it was he who had the only real chance of the first half as he found himself in time and space in the Birmingham area, but ballooned the ball over the bar.

Cameron Jerome had City’s only attempt of any note, but he blazed his shot wide from outside the area.

The second half proved livelier. Hayden Mullins missed a great chance to give the away side an unlikely lead, but a poor touch with the outside of the right foot and the opening was gone.

Birmingham substitute Kevin Phillips forced James into a good save before the former England No. 1 conceded a penalty in the dying moments of the game.

James barged over Larsson in the area as he attempted to catch the airborne ball. A harsh decision in truth, but James McFadden made no mistake from the spot, giving Birmingham City a 1-0 win.

Tottenham Hotspur def. Hull City, 5-1

Tottenham picked up from where it left off against Liverpool with a thrashing of the favorites for relegation, Hull City.

Jermaine Defoe scored Spur's first after 10 minutes when he fired low past the hapless Myhill.

Palacios made it 2-0 a mere four minutes later after he was played in by a subtle ball from Keane and slid in to score.

Hull City's new signing, Stephen Hunt, made it two goals in as many games as his free kick eluded everyone, including Spur's keeper Carlo Cudicini.

The game opened up with the arrival of Geovanni and soon became an end to end affair.

Defoe extended Spur's lead again before half time as he touched the ball past Tigers’ centre back Turner, smashing it into the net to make it 3-1.

Robbie Keane was instrumental all day and he nodded home the fourth from a Lennon cross before Defoe completed his hat trick on 90 minutes to leave the away side with an impressive 5-1 victory and the top spot of the Premier League.

Liverpool def. Stoke City, 4-0

Liverpool recovered from its defeat at White Hart Lane with a four goal hammering of Stoke City at Anfield.

Fernando Torres, widely tipped to take the golden boot this season, broke the deadlock after a mere six minutes after he was left with a simple chance to finish after hard work by Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard on the right wing.

The only real threat from Stoke in the first half was from Rory Delap’s long throws, which the home side's defense dealt with adequately.

Liverpool’s left back Insua missed a good opportunity to extend his team's lead before right back Glen Johnson scored a spectacular bicycle kick to make it 2-0 just before halftime.

The away side enjoyed a good spell of pressure after the interval before Dirk Kuyt ended the game as a contest after good work again by Gerrard, who left the Dutchman with the easiest of finishes.

Johnson capped an impressive night after he whipped in a dangerous cross which Sorensen could only palm onto the head of the waiting David N’Gog, who capped a good night for Liverpool, making it 4-0.


    Bars for Days: Nigeria vs. Iceland 🎤

    World Football logo
    World Football

    Bars for Days: Nigeria vs. Iceland 🎤

    B/R Video
    via Bleacher Report

    Mexico Aiming to Repeat Germany Heroics vs. South Korea

    World Football logo
    World Football

    Mexico Aiming to Repeat Germany Heroics vs. South Korea

    Matt Jones
    via Bleacher Report

    Why 'Chucky' Lozano's the Real FIFA GOAT 🇲🇽

    World Football logo
    World Football

    Why 'Chucky' Lozano's the Real FIFA GOAT 🇲🇽

    B/R Video
    via Bleacher Report

    Report: Liverpool Bid $210M (£158M) for Madrid's Asensio 🙃

    World Football logo
    World Football

    Report: Liverpool Bid $210M (£158M) for Madrid's Asensio 🙃

    Naveen Ullal
    via Sport Witness