NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
MADRID, SPAIN - JUNE 26:  Real Madrid president Florentino Perez (R) presents Carlo Ancelotti as Real's new head coach at Estadio Bernabeu on June 26, 2013 in Madrid, Spain.  (Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images)
MADRID, SPAIN - JUNE 26: Real Madrid president Florentino Perez (R) presents Carlo Ancelotti as Real's new head coach at Estadio Bernabeu on June 26, 2013 in Madrid, Spain. (Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images)Denis Doyle/Getty Images

Florentino Perez Defends Cristiano Ronaldo, Carlo Ancelotti and More at Presser

Nick AkermanMar 12, 2015

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has denied Carlo Ancelotti faces the sack if Los Blancos' poor form continues.

Perez called a special press conference to dismiss reports—including a Marca headline which suggested Ancelotti will be dismissed if his side loses to Barcelona on Mar. 22—on Thursday. The chief also confirmed his full faith in Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale, two players who have received widespread criticism in recent times.

The Madrid president began by addressing Ancelotti's situation. The club have gone three games without a win, but this hasn't altered Perez's view of the head coach, per Dermot Corrigan of ESPN FC:

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Perez called on fans to remember the club's stunning 2014, which saw Ancelotti lead the side to La Decima. His message comes at a time when Zinedine Zidane has been discussed as a successor:

Nicholas Rigg of AS tweeted Marca's aforementioned headline, which reportedly played a key role in Perez calling the presser.

Corrigan suggests Perez directly targeted the newspaper:

Pressure continues to mount after Madrid threw away their lead atop La Liga. Barca now have a one-point advantage after the capital-based club's draw against Villarreal and defeat to Athletic Bilbao.

Madrid also lost 4-3 to Schalke in Tuesday's Champions League round of 16 second-leg tie. Despite progressing 5-4 on aggregate, the side was booed off the pitch. 

Previously, Ancelotti confirmed he isn't afraid of being sacked, per Javier Garcia of Madrid's official website: "I'm not thinking about being sacked. I'm continuing to do my job. I'm trying to better, I need to do better. As I've said, it's the responsibility of the coach to put out a team that can play better than we have tonight."

CORDOBA, SPAIN - JANUARY 24:  Gareth Bale (L) of Real Madrid CF consoles his teammate Cristiano Ronaldo (R) as he leaves the pitch after being reprimanded with a red card during the La Liga match between Cordoba CF and Real Madrid CF at El Arcangel stadiu

Ronaldo took a vow of silence after being jeered off the pitch against Schalke. "I won't talk again until the end of the season," he said, as reported by Pete Jenson of the MailOnline. Perez suggests criticism of the 2014 Ballon d'Or winner is unfair, per Corrigan:

He also suggests Bale deserves greater support:

With a must-win fixture against Levante approaching on Sunday, it is interesting to see Perez come out fighting. Madrid remain in the hunt for two trophies and have an excellent chance of retaining their Champions League crown.

Support for Ancelotti and his players is well-placed, helping the squad to focus on the task ahead.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R