Lucky Blues Sink Hull City

Brian RhodesSenior Analyst IAugust 15, 2009

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 15:  Stephen Hunt of Hull City celebrates after scoring against Chelsea during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Hull City at Stamford Bridge on August 15, 2009 in London, England.  (Photo by Hamish Blair/Getty Images)

In today's opening game of the 2009/10 Premier League season Chelsea's Didier Drogba's brace stole a well deserved point from Phil Brown's Hull City.

In the first early kick-off of the season, the Carlo Ancelotti's Blues came out with all guns blazing, with Drogba going close with a shot on goal from an Essien cross with in two minutes.

Chelsea piled on the pressure in the first 10 minutes but the Tigers held firm and then started to get into thte game more with some counter attacking football, with Dean Marney just heading over the Chelsea cross bar.

However, Chelsea did not sit back and pressed back pegging the Tigers in their own half before Stephen Hunt, who had fractured Petr Cech's skull whilst playing for Reading in 2005 season, scored from a shambolic piece of defending in the Chelsea penalty area.

This gave the Tigers a one-goal lead against the Premiership favourites, but it would not last for long. It was only nine minutes before referee Alan Wiley incorrectly penalised Seyi Olofinjana for a foul on John Mikel Obi four yards outside the Hull City penalty area.

With Frank Lampard and Drogba standing over the ball the Cote D'Ivoire international deftly floated the ball over the Hull City wall and past a disparing Boaz Myhill dive to level the tie at one a piece.

Hull City's Dean Marney was unfortunate to twist his knee in a robust challenge and was subbed by ex-England international and Hull native Nick Barmby on 43 minutes.

It would stay all square for the rest of the half with the Tigers hanging on to a very slender looking point.

Half Time score 1-1

Mikel replaced by Michael Ballack as the teams return for the second half.

In the second half the Blues yet again came out fired up but the stalwart Hull City defence were more than a match for the Blues. Ancelotti's team playing in his customary diamond formation seemed devoid of width and the Yorkshire team exploited this.

The Hull City midfield were channelling the powerful Chelsea team in to the middle of the field and nullifying almost every attack. The lone Hull City striker Caleb Folan chasing shadows trying to get a hold of the ball and hold it up for a Hull City counter when ever possible.

The Londoners came close on a few occasions but to no avail. On 66 minutes, Hull City's goal scorer Hunt, who had suffered from boos every time he was involved in the action, was replaced by Algerian international Kamel Ghilas. Chelsea also used their first substitution at this time, taking off Florent Malouda and bringing on the Portuguese International Deco.

Both subs invigorated their teams attacking options Ghilas was very lively and would come close on a couple of occasions, and Deco gave the Blues some much needed guile.

On 77 minutes, another substitution from both sides as Deiberson Geovanni is brought on for Hull City's Bernard Mendy and Salomon Kalou comes on to replace a lacklustre Nicolas Anelka.

The Tigers were penned in their own penalty area for long periods but yet again they managed to survive the Chelsea onslaught but with the fourth Official inexplicably revealed that six added minutes should be played.

The raising of the time board was greeted by load cheers from the Stamford Bridge faithful and a rueful smile from the Hull City manager.

Only two minutes later on 90+2 minutes Drogba received a wonderfully threaded pass from Deco in the left of the Hull City penalty area and with a speculative looping cross, found the back of the Hull City net.

Drogba was then booked for undue celebrating by the referee but it was all over as Chelsea then controlled possession.

Final Score 2-1