A few months ago, I wrote my all time New York Yankees team. As an idea, I decided to continue and write my all time teams for every Major League baseball team. I will continue now with the New York Mets. My team will consist of 22 players. 2 players at each position (starter and backup). 2 left-handed starting pitchers, 2 right-handed starting pitchers, and 2 relievers.
Here is my New York Mets all time team:
1. Mike Piazza- One of the greatest hitting catchers of all time
2. Jerry Grote- Underrated, but, a great defensive catcher
1. Keith Hernandez- Borderline hall of famer. One of the greatest defensive first-basemen ever
2. John Olerud- Great hitter. Still holds the record for best average by a Met
1. Wally Backman- Not many great 2nd basemen to choose from. Backman was a key for the 86 Mets
2. Edgardo Alfonzo- Had a couple of great years. Was part of a great infield in the late 90s.
1. Bud Harrelson- Very consistent who played for years as the Mets starting shortstop
2. Jose Reyes- If he can get healthy again, he will be the Mets all time #1 shortstop
1. David Wright- The Mets have never had a consistent starter at 3rd base until Wright came along. If he keeps it up, he can be an all time great.
2. Howard Johnson-A very solid player for a few years.
1. Mookie Wilson- He could play center or left, but, he was a spark plug
2. Cleon Jones- He hit .340 in 1969 when the Mets won
1. Carlos Beltran- If he can stay healthy, he can be an all time great
2. Lenny Dykstra- Great leadoff hitter.
1. Daryl Strawberry- Gifted player. If only he didn't do drugs.
2. Tommy Agee- Played center for the Mets in 69. Clutch player
1. Tom Seaver- The franchise won 3 Cy Young awards
2. Dwight Gooden- He could've been better than Seaver
1. Jerry Koosman- He had 3 World Series wins. More than Seaver or Gooden
2. Al Leiter- A real clutch pitcher
1. John Franco
2. Tug McGraw