Charlie Weis met with the media for the first time of the 2009 season on Friday.
Weis opened with a statement about the upcoming season, and followed that up with questions from the media.
Media Day Notes:
- The Irish will come into the season ranked No. 23 in the Coaches' Preseason Poll. Weis stated that it would be natural that expectations for the team will grow with the team's progress. Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and Alabama round out the top five in the poll.
- The biggest position move in the preseason has been Eric Olsen sliding over to center to take the place of Dan Wenger. Trevor Robinson moves into the RG spot. This move allows for the best five offensive linemen to be on the field at the same time.
- Manti Te'o finds himself slated as a backup to Brian Smith at the WILL in preseason. Weis noted that Te'o is up to 245 pounds and the difference between Te'o and Smith is minimal, if none at all.
- On other weight additions, Kapron Lewis-Moore will start the season at 270. Weis also said that Ethan Johnson is now up to 280, without losing any of his ability.
- Weis talked about the player's hard work in the weight room this offseason. Most notably, Braxton Cave can now bench 520 lbs.
- A big note in the backfield: Armando Allen is the "guy to beat out." Weis said that Allen is the most rounded of the backs and looks like the No. 1 guy at this point.
- Jimmy Clausen took Golden Tate, Michael Floyd, and Kyle Rudolph out to Southern California for a week-long training session. Duval Kumara couldn't attend because of a summer school commitment.
- Coach Weis said that everyone is full-go at this point in camp besides Hafis Williams. Even better news is Williams could be cleared to play as soon as tomorrow.
- Robert Blanton and Darrin Walls are listed as the starting cornerbacks. Raeshon McNeil is listed as a backup to Blanton.