Phillies 08 Top 10 Prospects Update (originally Posted on My Fb 7/15/08)
I wrote a Phillies top 10 prospects list in March. I named the top 10 prospects of the Phillies in my minda how they ranked at the time. I figured since we were half way through i would decide to give an update on how each is doing. So here we go in order
1) *Carlos Carrasco: SP, Reading Phillies: Carrasco is getting a lot of hype these days and why not. The guy is unamimously the #1 prospect in the system. He just recently picked up the win in the futures game for the World Team. He has been in a lot of trade speculation recently but so far these are his stats. 5-7 record at Double A. He has a 4.09 ERA this season. in 99.0 innings pitched ( best on the team) he has 91 K's (best on the team and 7th best in the Eastern League) Last game read as so: 2 IP. 1 hit, 1 Walk, 2 K's 0 ER against Arkon Aeros. Best pitch is Changeup
2) Adrian Cardenas: 2B, Clearwater Threshers: Cardenas, the former supplemental first round pick has picked up in high Single A Clearwater where he left off in Low Single A Lakewood Cardenas stats read as follows this season and keep in mind he missed almost 2 weeks with an injury: he is hitting .309 (which is best on the team with hitters who have over 100 AB's. thats also 7th best in the Florida State League) He has 4 Hr's with 23 RBI's and with 16 SB's and 0 CS. Last game he went 1-4 against Daytona Beach.
3) Joe Savery: SP, Clearwater Threshers: The former Rice power hitter/power pitcher was bumped up to High Single A Clearwater this year after being the Phillies top choice (19th overall) in the 2007 MLB Draft. His stats are: 3.97 ERA which is 2nd best on the team with pitchers who have made at least 5 games started. His reccord is 4-8 in 17 games started ( which is best on the team by far. the next closest is 8 games started) Savery has pitched 111.0 innings this year (best on the team and and 2nd best in the Florida State league) Savery has 90 K's (which is also 1st on the team and 2nd in the Florida State league) he has walked 40 batters. his last game (which was his best) was: Joe went 8 IP giving up only 4 hits and 0 ER while striking out 8 and picking up the win.
4) *Greg Golson: OF, Reading Phillies: Golson, the former first round pick in 2004 draft is having a career year and like Carrasco is the speculation of a lot of trade talk in Philly.Golson has played the entire season in Double A Reading with an impressive stat sheet: Golson is hitting .299 (which is 3rd best on the team with at least 100 AB's) he has 8 HR's and 39 RBI's while adding 17 SB's (2nd best on the team) and only 4 CS. He still needs to get his K's down (80) but his best attribute is his defense. Think a better, but possibly slower, version of Michael Bourn. his last game was actually the futures game were he went 0-2 with 2 K's but his last game for Reading he went 1-4 against the Akron Aeros.
5) Andrew Carpenter: SP, Reading Phillies/Clearwater Threshers: Phillies fans had a lot of high hope for Carpenter after putting up steller numbers last year (i dont know them look at my original post back in march to see how good this guy really was in Clearwater) He started the season in Double A Reading and my god was he awful. in 11 games in Reading he was 2-7 with an ERA of 6.94. in 59.2 innings pitched he had 41 K's and 22 BB's The Philies sent him down to high Single A Clearwater which so far has worked wonderfully to restore his confidence. Even though he is only 1-3 in 5 Games for the Threshers he he has an ERA of 2.97. In 33.1 IP he has 20 K's and only 6 Walks. His last game was solid seeing Drew go 7 innings pitched giving up 6 hits with 3 ER and 7 K's against Daytona Beach.
6) Josh Outman: SP/RP, Reading Phillies: Outman is an interesting case. He started the season in Double A Reading after pkaying the entire season in 07 with High Single A Clearwater. He started the season as a SP and while i dont remember his stats as a starter i dont remember them being all that bad. The Phillies decided 2 months ago to switch the Lefty into a reliever. his stats this year are 3.20 ERA with a 5-4 record. In 70.1 IP he has 66 K's and 37 Walks. Its hard to compare him to other pitchers in the league becasue he was a starter and now i a reliever but he could be that Lefty in the bullpen that every time covets (hence the obsesion with brian Fuentes)
7) *Lou Marson: C, Reading Phillies: Marson, Like Carrasco and Golson has been in a lot of trade talk and even though the next player on this list is quiet possibly my favorite prospect of all time Marson is the only player in the system i deem "untouchable" he has been compared to Russel Martin and why not when you have these stats: he is hitting .321 (which is 1st on the team and 4th best in the league) He has 4 Hr with 45 RBI's and 3 SB's. his OBP is .422 (best on the team and tied for best in the Eastern League) The one thing that a lot of people dont realize when it comes to Marson is the fact that he has worked with Carlos Carrasco consistently since Lakewood. Marson and Carrasco are used to working with each other and if neither are traded they will be headlineing for the Phillies in a year or two. Last game was the futures game where he went 0-1 but in his last game at Reading he went 1-4 against the Akron Aeros.
8) *Antonio Bastardo: SP, Clearwater/ Reading Phillies: Where do i begin. you know what just click this link and its all you need to know http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12894479410
So just copy and past and youll find out every single thing the guy has done this season. Now let me clear something up. Bastardo was SELECTED to participate in the Futures game but he couldnt play because of an arm injury so he didnt play and wasnt on the roster. Most that know me might think this was wishful thinking on my part because he wasnt on the roster but i remeber listening to a Phillies daygame when they announced the news. No secret i have a man crush on Antonio Bastardo and i havent been this excited about a prospect since i found Ryan Howard in Lakewood......huh.....i found Bastardo in Lakewood.....interesting.
9) Jason Jaramilo: C, Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs: The biggest problem with the former second round pick from Oklahoma State is that it takes him too long to get the hang of a new league. He was in Ottowa last season which was the Phillies Tripple A team last season. He had a shot at being a Phillie this season but he had a terrible spring training and was sent to Lehigh Valley. And Hey who doesnt want to be an Iron Pig. He started off the seasosn slow leaving a lot of people, including me, to think that the organization has given up on him and have set their sites as Marson being the future. if this is true that measn Jaramilo could be a throw in in a possible trade. His stats this season are: .256 average with 6 HR and 30 RBI's. His last game was against the Syracuse Skychiefs where he went 2-4 with a Hr, 2 RBI's and 3 Runs scored.
10) Jacob Diekman: SP, Lakewood Blue Claws: I picked Diekman and proceeded to get shit for not picking Kyle Drabeck. I dont like Drabeck (and it shows cause i dont know how to spell his name and dont care enough to find out) Diekmans numbers last year in Rookie ball and with the Williamsport Crosscutter were amazing considering the kid was drafted in i think the 22nd round last year. He started the season in low class A (but higher than Williamsport or rookie ball) Lakewood and has been very up and down. his stats: 5.23 ERA with a record of 3-5 in 18 games started. he has 51 K's and 47 Walks in 94.2 IP (second on the team) his control obviously is a big issue at this point. His last game was 6.1 IP 3 ER. 3 walks 4 K's
*= Futures game selection
So there it is an updated version. I also ask you to take a look at my baseball predictions post i wrote back in late march. I recently forgot that i wrote it and just looked at it. Some of the things i said make me sound like a prophet. Others make me sound like a Mets fan. Id like to hear your thoughts. Thanks
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?