June 2, 2016
This has been an absolute roller-coaster of a weekend at the Hungaroring. Without further ado, recapping the high and low points over the past few days in Budapest:
- New boy on track. Plus 1. Almost inconceivable that Toro Rosso will hire someone not named Sebastian as a driver. Looking from the practice sessions, Jaime is doing pretty decent despite his lack of experience.
- Sutil crashing into the tyre wall in P3. Minus 2. Urgh, I bet his mechanics did not appreciate having to rush re-building his car in time for qualifying.
- Both BMWs out in Q1. Minus 2. Oh dear.
- Barichello out in Q2. Minus 2. Then we hear him complain about something breaking off from the back of the car.
- Massa crashes in Q2. N/A. At first I thought he just went off track again. Then you see the tyre marks. Then you see Massa not getting out of the car. Uh oh.
- The eerie similarity between Massa's and Surtee's accidents. Minus 100. I'm not quite sure how this can be avoided to be honest. There's always the risk with open cockpits.
- Massive failure of live timing at the last second of Q3. Minus 10. Like, did someone accidently tripped over the power cord or something?
- Alonso on pole! Plus 1. Then as suspected he is super light on fuel. Minus 1.
- The McLarens are back. Plus 2. I'm impressed. We had a glimpse of this at Germany, both cars in Q3 again confirms it.
- Button qualifies in P8. Minus 1. Right.
- Cockpit camera from Massa's car. Plus 1. Not saying I enjoyed it, but seeing the suspension spring from Barichello's car bouncing merrily along before hitting Massa and the subsequent heavy shunt into the tyre walls, well it was almost surreal.
- The three KERS cars shooting to the front when the red lights go off. Plus 2. Yeah... this never gets old. Great starts by Lewis and Kimi.
- Championship leaders Button and Vettel dropping back at the start. Minus 1. Well ok, they were on the dirty side of the track.
- Alonso's front right wheel flies off. Minus 5. In the light of the recent accidents, lucky this didn't end up in another driver's face.
- Kimi squeezes past Mark Webber during their first pit-stops. Plus 2. Alright!
- Vettel retires. Minus 2. Apparently there was damage from contact with Kimi at the start. Stewards still investigating.
- Flavio Briatore leaves the track mid-race. Minus 1. Oh-kay... Guess that's not exactly good news for Piquet, then?
- Button complaining on radio about the car. Minus 2. Maybe it's me, but I found it a bit too whiny. Just drive, man.
- Lewis Hamilton wins the race. Plus 2. First KERS car victory this season, hopefully not the last either. Very good pace throughout from Lewis.
- Kimi on podium! P2. Plus 2. Something positive for Ferrari then. At least, before the stewards have their say... I'm betting on no action.
- Nico Rosberg finishes in P4. Plus 2. Another solid result.
- Both Toyotas finish in points. Plus 2. Pretty good, especially Glock who started in P13.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!