Trey Millard Update
Rock Bridge High School (Columbia, MO) ILB/TE prospect Trey Millard is reportedly close to making a commitment. He has made visits to KU, Stanford, Iowa, Oklahoma, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and South Carolina.
Millard, who attended KU's Junior Days in the spring, has KU listed in his Top Eight, but the Jayhawks are likely out of the hunt for this prospect. Originally, the Rock Bridge prospect indicated that educational quality and coaching staff quality were his two biggest factors. At that time, KU was high on his list.
With KU's current depth at tight end, it was highly unlikely that the Jayhawks would sign two tight ends without forcing one into a positional change. While both Smiley and Millard are quality defensive prospects, Smiley is probably the more athletic prospect of the two and fits the mold of a pass-catching tight end better, especially as a Y receiver in the slot.
Despite initially having a lack of preference for collegiate position, Millard has indicated in recent weeks that he would prefer to play tight end at the next level. It is currently unclear how much the commitment of Trent Smiley has impacted KU's slide down his list, but it has almost certainly impacted it to some amount.
Other Recruiting News
• Elite Offensive Tackle prospect Trent Spurgeon has narrowed his list down to two schools; Texas Tech and Arizona. Spurgeon, a four-Star prospect out of Owasso, OK is a former high school teammate of KU incoming freshman Gavin Howard. The Owasso product attended KU's Junior Days in the Spring.
• Defensive End Donovan Vestal is closing in on his decision. Vestal has had the Jayhawk faithful on the edge of their seats for the better part of a month. It is widely known that Vestal is near the top of KU's board at defensive end. He has stated that he expects to make his decision by early August.
• KU is making a strong push for OLB Courtney Gaston from Ft. Gibson, OK. Gaston, who was listed as a 4-Star until very recently, reportedly runs 4.5 forty and has a 38" vertical. He is listed at 6'3", 205 lbs. on Rivals, but now claims to be almost 6'5", 225 lbs. The athletic linebacker has offers from KU, K-State, Arkansas, and Tulsa.
It has been another really rough week for recruiting. Several talented prospects have chosen to go elsewhere. It is still very early in the recruiting cycle, so anything can happen, but I have a feeling that all of these prospects are off of the board for good
• Offensive Tackle Anthony Gatti from St. Louis, Mo. has committed to Mizzou.
• Offensive Tackle Evan Washington from DeSoto, Tex. has committed to LSU.
• Guard Travis Jackson from Columbus, Ohio has committed to Michigan State.
• Weak-side Defensive End Holmes Onwukaife from Cedar Park, Tex. has committed to Florida State
• Cornerback Tyler Stephenson from Lancaster, Tex. has committed to Baylor.
• Cornerback Brenton Bogar from Muskogee, Okla. has committed to Tulsa.
• Safety James Haynes from Orange, Tex. has committed to OU.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!