Barcelona defender Dani Alves, who's been the focus of plenty of transfer talk throughout the summer, has opted to remain at Camp Nou.
Dermot Corrigan of ESPN passed along comments from the right-back after he spoke with new manager Luis Enrique about his place within the club:
Dani Alves: "Luis Enrique has told me he is counting on me. And if he is counting on me, I am counting on him. I've decided to stay."— Dermot Corrigan (@dermotmcorrigan) August 21, 2014
Alves has been a stalwart along the back line for Barcelona since arriving from Sevilla in 2008. He's appeared in nearly 300 matches across all competitions, scoring 20 goals and providing reliable defending on the right side.
All of the discussion about a potential exit has left a sour taste in the mouth of some supporters, however. Matt Law of Sports Mole noted the 31-year-old Brazilian international received boos from sections of the fanbase on Monday:
Before the Joan Gamper Trophy against Club Leon, each member of the Barca squad were presented to the crowd ahead of the new campaign.
When Alves entered the field, the majority of the crowd were heard booing the Brazilian right-back.
Perhaps his comments about staying with the club will help win the fans back over.
There were a few other remarks of note during the press conference. Most notably, he pointed out his contract runs one year longer than previously reported, via BarcaStuff:
Alves: "I decided to stay. When things get difficult, I'm stronger. I have a contract until 2016, but I go year by year, this season is key"— barcastuff (@barcastuff) August 21, 2014
Corrigan also noted that Alves gave his approval for the potential addition of Douglas from Sao Paulo:
Alves asked about reported Barca RB target Douglas "He is a great player. I hope Barca sign him. Great players always welcome."— Dermot Corrigan (@dermotmcorrigan) August 21, 2014
Did Alves make the right decision?
He could eventually be the player who replaces Alves should an agreement get reached, but it appears any switch at right-back will have to wait at least another year.
All told, Alves' announcement is good news for Barcelona, as the club was finding it difficult to identify a potential replacement on the transfer market. Neither of their defensive additions during the summer, Jeremy Mathieu and Thomas Vermaelen, are used to playing on the right side.
The Brazilian is coming off another strong campaign with very few signs of a drop-off. Whether he'll stay for one more year or for the duration of his contract is unclear, but his presence this season is a boost to the team's trophy chances in its various competitions.