Ok, this is the things Blackhawks must do. The biggest problem is cap space, and this is what they can do:
- Brent Sopel is a waste of money and will be impossible to trade him, hence you package a deal with Duncan Keith. Yes, I've said Keith. After watching most of the games I still don't understand why lots of people rave about this guy, he can be replaced. Trade Sopel + Keith for some drafts to open cap space. Maybe add a second round draft to the deal to sweeten it.
- Do not have 2 pricey goalies. I repeat, either stick with Heut or trade him for Habby.
- Ok, this will be a hard one, and I'm sure most won't want to hear it, but trade Brian Campbell. He is too pricey and not worth the money. Trade Campbell + first round pick. Blackhawks will have late picks in the first round anyways.
Let's see how much money we saved here.
- Brian Campbell $7,140,000
- Huet $5,625,000
- Sopel $2,333,000
- Keith $1,475,000
Grand total of $16,573,000
I'm not saying this is easy, but would be my plan.
Now what would I do with this cap space??
- Sign Kane long term
- Sign Toews long term
- Sign Sharp long term
- Sign Havlat long term. I know he gets injured but he is an all star when healthy.
- Sign Buff long term
Above 5 players and Hossi should be the core of the team for the next decade.
Ok, now rip me apart and tell me how dumb I am and don't know much about NHL. Actually I don't know that much but this is what I would want after watching last year.