Juventus Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of April 28
Two-time Italian champions Juventus have enjoyed another excellent campaign, leading Serie A for almost the entire season while progressing to the semi-final of the Europa League. They hope to reach the final—which is to be held in their own stadium—with the second leg against Benfica still to come.
Whilst it is clear that Antonio Conte’s men stand on the verge of some truly historical achievements, there remains a belief that the squad can still be improved. The disappointing manner of their Champions League exit only compounds that belief, and talk has already turned to the names the Bianconeri may look to add this summer.
Over the following pages is a roundup of the latest transfer gossip surrounding the Turin giants, regularly updated throughout the week.
*UPDATED FRIDAY MAY 2*
Atletico Madrid Join Ciro Immobile Chase
With the interest of Borussia Dortmund already noted earlier this week, it seems Atletico Madrid have joined the German side in pursuing Ciro Immobile. The club have, according to Gianluca Di Marzio, made initial contact with the player's representatives this week as his stock continues to rise.
Marco Verratti Pleased by Interest
Marco Verratti has once again commented on speculation linking him with Juventus, stating he would much rather see Paul Pogba join him in Paris. The midfielder has been constantly linked with both the Bianconeri and Real Madrid, but seemingly has no desire to leave his current club.
Speaking to Sky Sport Italia, the 21-year-old spoke about the rumours around him and the French international, telling them (via FootballItalia):
I am very happy at Paris Saint-Germain. Every year rumours seem to emerge that I am going to Juventus, so this story has been going for a long time. Clearly I am pleased to be of interest to a club like Juve, but I repeat I am very happy in Paris.
As I said though, I am happy at PSG and would only look around if I was told I no longer had a place in the project. Seeing as we went out of the Champions League, we are clearly lacking something. The arrival of someone like Pogba could certainly improve the team.
Juventus deny Real Madrid contact with Paul Pogba
Juventus have refuted claims that Zinedine Zidane has spoken to Paul Pogba about the prospect of joining Real Madrid. France Football reported the alleged contact on Monday (h/t FootballItalia), insisting that the Spanish club’s sporting director had personally telephoned the midfielder.
However, speaking before the game against Sassuolo later that day, Beppe Marotta denied that was the case, telling Sky Italia how happy the Bianconeri are to have the 21-year-old in their squad. The Director General said (via ITV Sport):
We don't believe there was any such call with Zidane, nor any interest from Real Madrid. Would I exchange Pogba with Gareth Bale? They are two excellent players, but completely different.
We are fortunate to have Pogba, who is young and growing consistently, and we are happy to have him.
Ciro Immobile Linked with Dortmund Again
Borussia Dortmund are allegedly willing to spend €20 million to sign Ciro Immobile, but Torino are determined to keep the inform striker. The 24-year-old netted this past weekend, taking his tally this term to 21, a return which has seen him linked with the German club on a number of occasions.
The highly-respected Gianluca Di Marzio revealed that the Bundesliga outfit are willing to invest the sum on the Italian international, writing on his own website that Dortmund are “truly ready” to make a bid.
The Granata co-own the player with Juventus, and Torino President Urbano Cairo remains hopeful his club can hold on to the talented forward. “We will sit down with Juve and together we will find the best solution for him and both teams,” he told Sky Italia on Sunday (h/t FootballItalia).
Alexis Sanchez says yes to Juventus
Writing on his own website last week, Gianluca Di Marzio stated that Barcelona’s Alexis Sanchez "would gladly accept" a move to Turin this summer.
The Chilean would offer Juventus the ability to switch to a 4-3-3 formation, which many feel is essential if the Bianconeri are to improve upon this season’s poor showing in the Champions League.
The Italian expert added that the transfer ban placed upon the Catalan side could prevent a deal being done—only for FIFA to announce, per Reuters, that they would suspend that punishment.
This appears to have opened the exit door for the Chilean attacker, who seems like a perfect fit for Antonio Conte.
Udinese happy to talk about Roberto Pereyra
Reports in the Italian press last week linked Juventus with Udinese’s Roberto Pereyra, and his current club appear to be open to a possible transfer. The Argentine has been suggested as an alternative to Alexis Sanchez, offering the same tactical variety to Antonio Conte as the Barcelona player.
Asked about potentially selling the 23-year-old, Udinese sporting director Cristiano Giaretta said they were more than willing to discuss it with the Turin side, according to CalcioMercato.com (h/t Football Italia):
Can Pereyra leave? This remains to be seen. If there was an official request from Juventus, then we’d be happy to sit down and talk about Pereyra.
We are talking about an important club and Pereyra is now ready for the big step up in his career. If Juve make this attempt to sign him, then we’ll take it into consideration.
Juventus reject Xherdan Shaqiri option
It has been reported that Juventus have rejected the option to sign Xherdan Shaqiri, with the Bayern Munich player recently offered to the Italian giants.
Gianluca Di Marzio says that the Turin club turned down the chance to sign the Swiss international following discussions.
Writing on his own website, the transfer expert stated that Juve “doesn’t consider Shaqiri a top choice,” and would be looking at other options.