Updates from Wednesday, March 26
The former interim UFC welterweight champion, currently ranked No. 3 in the division, has not yet been given a return timetable, though surgeons will offer more clarity on the issue after completing his procedure, Kawa said.
Most likely, however, the repair is likely to keep him out of action for months, and possibly for the rest of 2014. For most athletes, the standard recovery timetable is between 6-10 months, depending on how they respond to physical rehabilitation.
Updates from Wednesday, March 19
Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole has an update on Condit's injury:
Carlos Condit needs surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament as well as a partially torn meniscus in his right knee, the result of an injury he suffered Saturday in Dallas during his bout at UFC 171 against Tyron Woodley.
Condit's manager, Malki Kawa, said the date of the surgery is not yet scheduled. Kawa said he is working closely with the UFC to find the best surgeon.
In one of the most brutal sports in the world, injuries are to be expected for MMA fighters. And like any other sport, some of the brightest stars can go down and completely shake up the sport.
On Saturday night, Carlos Condit lost to Tyron Woodley after being forced to withdraw due to knee injury. It was later revealed that Condit may have suffered a torn ACL, according to MMA Junkie:
Mike Winkeljohn informed MMAjunkie of Condit’s initial diagnosis via text message following their visit to an area hospital following the fight, which took place at Dallas’ American Airlines Center.
Winkeljohn also notes that Condit will have more tests done to figure out the full extent of the injury.
Following the fight Woodley spoke on Condit's injury, courtesy of Yahoo! Sports' Elias Cepeda:
"He's a really tough guy. I landed some really hard right hands earlier in the fight," Woodley said in his post-fight interview with Joe Rogan.
"I heard him say ow when I took him down so I said I'm going to start chopping him down."
Woodley also gave his thoughts on the victory and Condit as a fighter, per UFC on Fox:
Condit is not only a great fighter, but also a fan favorite. His loss to the sport is a huge hit, with his vicious finishing ability worth watching any time he hits the octagon.
Cole Miller added his thoughts on the situation late Saturday night on Twitter:
The loss was Condit's third in his last four with the others coming against Georges St. Pierre and Johny Hendricks before avenging an earlier loss in his career against Martin Kampmann.
While it's unknown how long the injury could have Condit out, his next opponent might have been decided later on in the night when Johny Hendrick defeated Robbie Lawler. The welterweight fighter could have a match with Lawler on his slate whenever the fighter returns.
The 29-year-old fighter still has several years in the tank and should be back whenever his injury heals up. While the specifics like whether or not surgery is required have not been issued, any updates will be added to this story as they come through.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!