In the week in which the world record transfer fee was not only broken but obliterated, there is a growing sense that the summer of 2009 is going to be the most profligate in footballing history.
We haven't really seen anything like this before, even the era of Galacticos was limited to a mega-signing a season.
Imagine then what Kevin Keegan (a spendaholic like no other) could have done with the wealth of Sheikh Mansoor of Manchester City.
For those who don't know, Kevin Keegan has walked away from more than one Premier League club once the money had run out, dummy spat and tantrum in full swing.
The question then is what impact would the messiah—mk1 (TM) have had if money were, quite literally no object?
1. Steve McManaman and Robbie Fowler brought out of retirement for a combined fee of £20m?
2. Joey Barton reunited with Keegan in £15m deal?
3. Sammi Hyppia snapped up for a bargain £5.5m on a 12-year contract?
4. Ronaldo (from Brazil) snapped up for £10m?
5. Michael Owen tied to a 10-year contract on £1/2m per month?
No doubt Keegan would know exactly where to go for experienced performers able to inject cortisone into any squad, but only he knows how much he could spend given the opportunity.
How long though before he would throw his toys out of his pram and leave others to clear up the mess?