If you were to choose the greatest boxer of all time, what would be the factors that would be the basis for your selection?
For someone who is an ordinary boxing buff like me, my choosing would be limited to the level of my understanding and information about the sport.
So relying on my utmost knowledge, I would like to declare that Manny Pacquiao is the Greatest Boxer of this Era and should be a candidate for the title of the Greatest Boxer of all Time.
To justify this declaration, I would like to state some facts:
1. The only fighter in history to win four successive bouts in four different divisions against top-level fighters, winning three world titles.
2. The only fighter in history to come from the 106-pound division to go up to 147-pound division and still has a chance to go up to 154 pounds if he chooses to.
3. The only fighter in history to win four lineal weight division championships.
4. The only fighter in history to record wins over the most number of hall of famers in different weight division.
5. Last but not least, the most exciting fighter in the history of boxing. Note: This is subjective. This one factor is reserved for my own opinion.
Other factors, such as being a six-division world title holder, could also be mentioned, but such an accomplishment may not be unique to Manny.
Of all the factors stated above, I think the fifth would be highest of all. The greatness of an individual, especially in the field of sports, is not the quantity, but the quality of wins.
That is where Manny Pacquiao excels. The quality of his fights almost always exceeds expectations. He always surprises his opponents and the spectators, though they thought they knew Manny's ability.
One thing that could be considered as a measure of one's greatness is the ability of the person to produce exciting, eventful, awe inspiring, and unforgettable performances comparable to Tiger Woods’ 16th hole putt at the Masters or Roger Federer’s 14th Grand Slam at the French Open.
And these were just a part of Manny Pacquiao, because as a whole he is incomparable. He already attained the incomprehensible a year ago and now a new level is being eyed, which for any other mortal is next to impossible.
As a conclusion, Manny Pacquiao as the Greatest Fighter Of All Time may mean one thing to me: I never get tired watching his fights, even the old ones, though I watch him time and time again.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!