Lonely in Albany: Where Have All The River Rats' Fans Gone?
During my daily search and perusal of Hurricanes related stories, I came across this interesting article about the Albany River Rats and their attendance issues. According to the author, the Rats have only averaged a total of 1,873 fans for each home game so far this playoff season.
Are you kidding me?
The next time I hear criticism about how any city in the South doesn’t deserve a hockey team, I will remember this article. Raleigh has drawn more fans to Canes scrimmages than that. As a matter of fact, this “non traditional hockey market” recently drew over 3,000 fans to watch amateur firefighters and policemen play in a game for charity. That’s right, amateurs!
It’s hard to believe that the capital city of New York State can’t muster up 3,000 lonely souls to watch a professional hockey playoff game. It makes you wonder if the team has a marketing department at all. Is anyone aware that they even have a team in the area? According to the article, they have advertised a lot, but where?
If this blogger could make a couple of humble suggestions….
- Call up the RBC Center today and ask if the remaining home games can be played in Raleigh. Nope, 18,000 won’t make it, but I guarantee more than 1,873 people will show up. People are hungry for hockey right now and I think team officials would be surprised how many people would attend.
- Call up Hannah Montana and have her sing between periods.
- Have a blogging contest and open up a “blogger’s box”. Case in point, more people read this blog every few days then the number who showed up for that game.
- Hang out at the RPI rink and steal some of their fans. College hockey is done for the year and those college kids might want something to do.
- Have a promotion night. How about a free Tim Conboy bobblehead to the first 5,000 fans? I guarantee a sell-out.
All joking aside, it’s a shame more people aren’t enjoying hockey up in Albany. I wish that I lived closer, I would be there in a heartbeat.
Along the same subject line, the Rats lost their last game to Philadelphia by a score of 2-1. The series is now tied up at 2-2.
Before signing off, I would just like to take a moment to offer congratulations to Andy over at Hurricanes Insider on the birth of his new baby boy! He posted a pic over at his site, and that is one cute baby. Good luck Andy, life has officially changed as you once knew it!
Speaking of HI, looks like Andy posted a similar article about Rats attendance here.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?