Donald Cerrone may have difficulties with impulse control.
Despite spending years as a lightweight contender in the UFC and WEC—and netting more than his share of lucrative post-fight bonuses along the way—"Cowboy" is broke and needs to refill his coffers. And for Cerrone, that means fighting as early and as often as humanly possible.
“What really happened is I spent all my money, so I’m broke, and I only have one choice but to fight,” Cerrone said in an interview with Examiner.com's Ryan McKinnell. "...I’m just out of control. It’s hard to have money in the bank, want something and not get it. I just [expletive] buy it. I have no idea what saving money is.”
According to the report, Cerrone said he wants to fight six times in 2014. That would be a heavy workload, but the hard-charging, shoot-em-up Cerrone would probably stand as good a chance as anyone of actually pulling it off. After all, it would only be two more fights than he took in 2013, when he finished 2-2.
For the UFC's part, it appears they are willing to accommodate Cerrone to some extent or another.
“I texted Joe [Silva] after my last fight and said, ‘I want a fight ASAP,'" Cerrone recalled. "He said ‘How does Jan. 25 sound?’ I said, ‘Great!’"
Jan. 25 is coming up fast, and Cerrone will be facing jiu-jitsu ace Adriano Martins at UFC on Fox 10. That's barely a two-month turnaround from his last fight, a second-round tapout of Evan Dunham at UFC 167, which, by the way, netted Cerrone a $50,000 Submission of the Night bonus.
That was the seventh post-fight bonus Cerrone has received since joining the UFC in 2011. Each bonus tends to amount to between $50,000 and $60,000.
Still, Cerrone says he's broke. It may have something to do with Cerrone's well-documented affinity for outdoor pursuits like bull riding, water sports like wakeboarding and rock climbing. Earlier in 2013, Cerrone fell during a rock climb and suffered injuries that nearly cost him his fight with K.J. Noons at UFC 160.
Cerrone, 30, is 21-6-1 in his pro MMA career.