Chelsea Transfers: Pato, Sturridge, Pirlo, and Kaka? Oh My!

Timothy NCorrespondent IJune 3, 2009

Summers—known as the offseason and quite possibly my second favorite time of the year with playoffs being the first.

So far Chelsea have been anything but quiet, attracting rumors at a pace that is befitting of their status as "glory hounds" to denouncers and "world beaters" to supporters.

Today I'll be examining the four most recent and (somewhat) reasonable rumors.


First there is the one, the only one that Chelsea have truly desired for what seems like ages now. He is Kaka, the 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year and maybe the best playmaker on the market when healthy.

Last night, it was reported that Madrid had secured his serves as returning president Perez embarks on rebuilding "Los Galacticos." However, Chelsea have been rumored (and denied) making a grandiose 76.5 million pound bid for his services and hijacking Real Madrid of their star catch.

Though they have denied making a bid and offered an astronomical amount of money, I would not be surprised if it was true considering their previous attempts to bring him to Stamford Bridge—especially with his former coach Carlo Ancelotti now there.

I'd give this transfer a 40 percent chance of occurring.


Next up is Alexandre Pato.

The 19-year-old striker from Milan is one of the few bright young stars for the club but is set to be subject to more than a 25 million pound bid to join Stamford Bridge where he can play with the likes of Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba, and John Terry.

I think that this rumor has a little more substance than the Kaka rumors considering Chelsea do need an injection of youth (more on that in another article later this week) and he would be with a familiar coach.

For this transfer, I'd give it a slightly better 50 percent chance of occurring.


Thirdly, there is Manchester City's Daniel Sturrdige.

A highly rated England U-20 striker that would come on a free transfer. reports that he would get at least 50,000 pounds per week to commit to a future at Stamford Bridge. While the free transfer would usually make this automatic for the rich Londoners, there are a few problems with this.

Firstly, Ancelotti usually (Pato is an exception) does not play young players. Despite my misgivings about this for Chelsea's future, he has not made any statements about changing this policy.

Secondly, this team is already loaded with attackers and though three through six will are or will be over 30 in the next few years, Sturridge would definitely not see a lot of first team action.

Finally, Chelsea already has another young English striker in Scott Sinclair, an attacking midfielder in Michael Woods, a winger in Miroslav Stoch, and someone that has already shown to be at the same level as Sturridge (if not better) in Franco Di Santo.

Why would Chelsea ignore this talent for this Manchester City product?

30 percent chance of occurring if good sense wins out, 70 percent if absurdity does.


Finally, there is the Italian Maestro and maybe Ancelotti's greatest work in Andrea Pirlo.

His move from attacking midfielder to deep-lying playmaker is a work of genius from both coach and player which has brought much success to both AC Milan and Italy.

However, after the Deco experiment of last season, I can't see Peter Kenyon and Roman Abramovich going for this no matter what Ancelotti sees unless the price is significantly lower than the reported 20 million pounds or Michael Essien.

RA has already shown that Essien is a Chelsea favorite and would not trade him for the aging Italian playmaker.

35 percent chance for this transfer.


Please feel free to correct me on factual mistakes etc. and leave comments, I love chatting it up.


    Maurizio Sarri Leaves Napoli

    World Football logo
    World Football

    Maurizio Sarri Leaves Napoli

    Rory Marsden
    via Bleacher Report

    Chelsea and Martial Can Rescue Each Other

    Chelsea logo

    Chelsea and Martial Can Rescue Each Other

    The Pride of London
    via The Pride of London

    Chelsea and Napoli Could Swap David Luiz for Sarri

    Chelsea logo

    Chelsea and Napoli Could Swap David Luiz for Sarri

    Matt Law,
    via The Telegraph

    Chelsea-Linked Jardim Commits to Monaco

    Chelsea logo

    Chelsea-Linked Jardim Commits to Monaco

    via footballlondon