Rookie of the Year. Pro Bowler. Injured. Replaced.
And back with a vengeance.
Here is how I would interview Mr. Young:
1. Let's start with a few general questions and then we'll shift into football. You had quite a weekend back in Houston for “VY Community Unity weekend.” How long have you been doing work with children and exactly what was involved in the event? And tell us a little about the Vincent Young Foundation.
2. Rapper Nelly made an appearance in your basketball game. I heard the two of you “made it rain” together on stage. And we have to know—did your team beat Nelly's in the celebrity basketball tournament?
3. I'm from Albany. But what are Vince Young food stores? I saw an ad for Vince Young ribs and smoked sausage, and I'm thinking, where can I get that? How did you start that project?
4. Let's talk about 10vinceyoung.com. Why did you decide to make your own Web site? And do you visit it regularly for the fans in the offseason?
5. OK, so you have your own working Web site, food stores, are active in the community, and are a father. How do you settle down and focus to get into football mode?
6. Let's shift into your game. How is the knee? Was rehab successful, and are you back to 100 percent?
7. You've been telling the press you're tired of being on the bench, and you are ready to start. What do you need to do in training camp that proves this? What strengths do you have that maybe Kerry Collins is lacking in?
8. During the season, you told the press that when you get back on the field, it's going to be a “whole other” Vince Young. Is that still true? Can you explain what you meant?
9. Give me a sense of how your team is looking this season. What draft picks are you excited about? Where are you going to get your help in the field? How do you feel about your new receiver Kenny Britt?
10. Major Adams, your agent, has Titan fans on their toes a bit because of a few reports that you were willing to be traded. Can you set the record straight? Is it important that you start for Tennessee? Are you happy there in the community? What other organizations can see yourself with?
As any good reporter, the questions would meld, develop, and be renewed with Young's answers, and hopefully I would have the opportunity to delve deeper.