In Wednesday’s WNBA media call, all of the coaches in attendance indicated they were going to wait until after the games this weekend to make the remaining cuts on their rosters.
Los Angeles Sparks head coach Michael Cooper even said he knew what his final roster will look like but will hold off on making any moves until after his team’s Sunday game.
The Connecticut Sun’s Mike Thibault is concerned about starting the season with just ten players. Second-year forward Amber Holt broke her hand in a game on Wednesday. She will be out for at least a month. And Thibault has said he will not cut her from the team.
The Minnesota Lynx will introduce their 2009 roster at the Mall of America, Sunday, May 31.
Chantelle Anderson, a center on the Atlanta Dream, wrote on her Twitter page this week the Dream were going to cut her but the league has yet to make an official announcement about her status. She wrote an entry about getting waived in her blog on Yardbarker.com.
Rumor mill: On Monday, the league will make a big announcement in New York City. NBA commissioner David Stern, WNBA president Donna Orender, and Phoenix Mercury players Diana Taurasi and Cappie Pondexter are slated to attend. Hmm, what’s up with that?
Waivers/Signings this week
- The Chicago Sky waived Liz Moeggenberg.
- The Atlanta Dream waived Marlies Gipson.
- The New York Liberty waived Abby Waner.
- The Detroit Shock signed free agent Barbara Farris.
- The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Amber Petillon.
- The Detroit Shock waived Tanae Davis-Cain.
- The San Antonio Silver Stars signed Joyce Ekworomadu to a training camp contract.
- The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Morenike Atunrase.
- The Chicago Sky waived Quianna Chaney and Danielle Gant.
- The Sacramento Monarchs waived Barbara Farris.
Weekend Games (all times EST)
Saturday May 30
San Antonio @ Detroit 7:00 pm
Seattle @ Phoenix 10:00 pm
Sunday May 31
Los Angeles @ Connecticut 3:00 pm