If you are like myself then you tend to wonder how important a single player is to a successful season. Ranking the Green Bay Packers 1-53, using their projected final roster, should make it quick and easy to find out how important a player is when they go on injured reserve.
Here is my list:
1. Aaron Rodgers QB- Quarterback is the most important position on the field. It helps that Rodgers is a good one too.
2. Greg Jennings WR- Jennings is the recipient of most of the offense's explosive plays.
3. Charles Woodson CB- Although up there in age, Woodson is the Packer's most versatile defensive back.
4. Al Harris CB- One of the best man-to-man corners in the league.
5. Aaron Kampman OLB- Transition to the 3-4 knocked him down a few spots. Do not expect him to drop into coverage a whole lot.
6. Nick Collins FS- Like a newly ripened fruit Nick Collins was more than digestible last year.
7. Cullen Jenkins DE- If anyone was looking for the greatest reason why the Packers struggled against the run last year look no further than this beast.
8. Donald Driver WR- He just keeps on going and going and going and going...
9. Chad Clifton OT- Although he struggled in spots last year his protection was pretty good overall.
10. Daryn Colledge G- He was solid last year, and is capable of playing left tackle.
11. Ryan Pickett NT- He is a big guy who is a decent run stopper.
12. James Jones WR- He had a tough year with injuries last year, but is a good outside threat.
13. B.J. Raji NT/DE- Apparently he is quick enough to play DE at 330 lbs. I call that a good sign of things to come.
14. Tramon Williams CB- A former undrafted free agent who continues to get better. Gives up a big play, but comes back with a interception.
15. A.J. Hawk ILB- He is a very impressive athlete, but I think he will always be solid not spectacular. He lacks the suddenness of a cover LB and the power of a true ILB.
16. Atari Bigby SS- The new 3-4 defense will allow Bigby to stay in the box, which should only help him.
17. Jordy Nelson WR- A WR with size, Jordy should do a fine job of replacing Donald Driver in a few years.
18. Nick Barnett ILB- He is 230 lbs. and has a major injury, I think we have to chalk him up as a failure.
19. Donald Lee TE- Solid blocker and receiver.
20. Desmond Bishop ILB- I think he should start over Barnett. He is a problem in man coverage, but the increase in zone coverage should negate that.
21. Jason Spitz G/C- Great run blocker, but he tends to get bull rushed in passing situations. I'm not convinced he would be a huge upgrade at center.
22. Ryan Grant RB- He runs with reckless abandon when healthy. In my opinion he lacks break away speed, does not protect the football, and his legs die after first contact.
23. Jeremy Thompson OLB- He is a natural fit at outside linebacker.
24. Clay Matthews OLB- You have to love his work ethic and athleticism. He reminds me too much of Bobby Carpenter.
25. Brandon Jackson RB- I think the offense as a whole is better when he is in because of his pass catching and good speed.
26. Scott Wells C- He is just too damn small.
27. Justin Harrell DE- When healthy, which he is at this particular second, Harrell has showed pretty good ability.
28. Brady Poppinga OLB- The best personality on the team, but his struggles have been well documented.
29. Jermichael Finley TE/WR- Pretty much a WR at this point, but should be a good red zone threat this year.
30. Brandon Chillar LB- Should see action in sub packages that involve covering Greg Olsen.
31. Josh Sitton G- Might start at RG next year.
32. Allen Barbre OT- All the athleticism in the world. Unfortunately he is not very bright.
33. Johnny Jolly DE- okay run stuffer, but offers zero pass rush.
34. Breno Giacomini OT- Could start at right tackle.
35. Alfred Malone DE- Capers likes him.
36. Will Blackmon CB- Not a great cover guy, but a pretty good return man.
38. Pat Lee CB- Has not shown much, but its still kind of early.
39. TJ Lang- A really strong guy who could end up starting at right tackle.
40. Korey Hall FB- Does not blow anyone up, but generally gets them out of the way.
41. Quinn Johnson FB- He really likes to hit people.
42. Mark Tauscher OT- Is probably done, but then again who knows.
43. Danny Lansanah ILB- He is a depth guy who should fit in the 3-4 nicely.
44. Aaron Rouse SS- Just one of those tweener athletes that does not have a position.
45. Anthony Smith FS- Attitude problems.
46. Brandon Underwood CB/S- Hopefully this guy can beat out Jarret Bush.
47. Durant Brooks P-He is the reason for at least one loss this season.
48. Jamarko Simmons WR- Watched him in person a few times, and I think he should beat out Martin.
49. Tyrell Sutton RB- I think he brings more to the table than Lumpkin or Wynn.
50. Mason Crosby K- Good kicker, However, just a kicker. I don't know, maybe he is important.
51. Brian Brohm QB- I have a sneaking suspicion that he is abusing some sort of drug.
52. Matt Flynn QB- He can run kind of fast...
53. Brett Goode LS- These guys get paid?
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!