West Bromwich Albion midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu has denied saying that he had been approached by Arsenal.
A report by the Sun’s Andy Baker carried quotes from the midfielder claiming he was ready to move on, potentially to Arsenal.
Per Baker’s piece, Mulumbu said:
I’ve had approaches from Arsenal.
I could leave this winter. This is the right time for me to set my sights higher. I’m ready to join a top-four club.
The comments understandably raised eyebrows, particularly the line about Arsenal, but Mulumbu has come out to deny making such claims.
The former Paris Saint-Germain midfielder has admitted conducting an interview with a French journalist, but he feels he has been misquoted.
Speaking to West Brom’s official website, Mulumbu said:
I did an interview with a French journalist last week but I am not very happy about how my answers have been reported.
The general point I was trying to make in the interview is that I want to play at the highest level possible.
I admitted there has been interest in me from other clubs during my time here but I didn’t speak about Arsenal and I also didn't say I would be looking to move in January.
West Brom face Manchester City on Wednesday, but Mulumbu will not be able to let his football do the talking as he is suspended.
Between now and January when the transfer window opens, Mulumbu will look to make a case for one of the clubs playing at the highest level to take a look.
The Baggies sit in 12th place in the Premier League after 13 games of the Premier League season.
Mulumbu has been an ever present so far this season and according to a report from Squawka’s Damian Buxton, he has won 23 tackles this season—which has helped place him third in their rankings.