Trying to decide which member of the 2009 Dallas Cowboys to do a feature interview on is one of the hardest decisions you could have when covering a NFL team. After careful consideration, my choice would be quarterback Tony Romo. There are many questions I have of Romo that have yet to be asked, or yet to be answered completely. With that being said, here is a transcript of the questions I would ask Romo in a one-on-one interview:
1. Tony, you’re entering your seventh season in the NFL and your fourth as a starter for the Dallas Cowboys. When you were at Eastern Illinois University, did you imagine you’d be on this stage playing against the best players on the planet?
2. Looking back on your first three years with them team, did you feel you needed that time on the bench to learn and adapt to the next level, or was it frustrating not to have a chance to show your talents on Sundays from the very beginning?
3. There is more pressure, more expectations on you entering this season than perhaps any other, thanks in large part to the departure of Terrell Owens. Do you feel that pressure, or is it just like any other off-season as you prepare for opening day?
4. There has been so much speculation over the relationship that existed between you and T.O. Set the record straight once and for all—what was the relationship like between the two of you, both on and off the field? Were you sad to see him go?
5. Roy Williams takes over the No. 1 spot at receiver. What have you seen from Roy that makes you confident he can handle the job this season?
6. With all the regular-season success you’ve experienced since you’ve taken over under center, can you figure out why that hasn’t translated to a win in the post-season? How frustrating is that to you?
7. You’ve had a tough, hands on coach in Bill Parcells. Current coach Wade Phillips is more laid-back. Is there a style of coaching you prefer, and do you think Wade has the right demeanor to take Dallas to another Super Bowl title?
8. The ribbon-cutting ceremony on the new $1.5 billion Cowboys Stadium was this week—what do you think of the place, and does that add any pressure or put even more expectations on this season?
9. Switching gears, you are an avid golfer—and a good one at that. If you could either be in the final group at a PGA Major, or make it to the Super Bowl with the Cowboys—which would you choose, and would it be a tough decision?
10. Fill in the blank—2009 will be a disappointing season if we don’t _______________.
11. I know you didn’t ask for the “celebrity” status you have now, with paparazzi following you and Jessica’s every move. What do you make of all the attention for things off of the field? How is your relationship with Jessica? Did the media make too much of the effect her being in the stands had on your performance on the field?
12. Last question—do you feel there are certain changes you need to make, either on or off the field, in order to get the team and yourself to that next level?