Wednesday’s Game: Cardinals 3, Brewers 2
Record: 27-20, Second Place
- More video highlights HERE.
- Ryan Braun returned to the lineup after getting hit in the wrist on Tuesday, but he went 0-4.
- J.J. Hardy returned from his back spasm issues and went 3-5, but grounded out to end the game.
- Frank Catalanotto went 2-3 with both Brewer RBIs on a triple.
- Corey Hart knows he sucks right now. Hopefully getting a few off days will help him get his head straight.
- Padres assistant Paul DePodesta discusses the Tony Gwynn Jr./Jody Gerut trade from the Padres perspective. Basically, it was a way for the Padres to cut some payroll…
- The Brewers get mentioned as a possible destination for Mark DeRosa again. Freddy Sanchez is also mentioned as an option.
- The Brewers could be interested in Brad Penny, but I sure hope they’re not foolish enough to consider giving up Angel Salome for him… Penny is certainly not an ace-caliber pitcher anymore and the team could have signed him this offseason if they were interested. Melvin will not give up a highly regarded catching prospect who is nearly MLB ready for Penny.
- Several opposing teams have apparently been haunted at the Pfister Hotel. So, we can assume the ghosts there are Brewers fans?
- Braun’s throwing a party (h/t Brew Crew Ball):
- Zambrano being Zambrano:
Imagine how good this guy could be if he learned how to control his emotions… Thank God he can’t seem to do it. Carlos Zambrano absolutely lost it after a close play at the plate, bumped the umpire, was tossed, threw the umpire out of the game, screamed, threw a baseball into the outfield and smashed a Gatorade machine with a bat. You truly are an epic headcase, Carlos. And he should be seeing a fairly lengthy suspension for that tirade.
- Cubs GM Jim Hendry defends the Mark DeRosa trade. I still say it was stupid…
- Gerry Fraley on FoxSports.com says the Cardinals are a “different team with healthy Carpenter.” Really? Do you think a guy that is Cy Young caliber when healthy helps the team when he’s healthy? That’s a pretty big leap… In other news, my car runs better when there is gas in it.
- Pirates pitcher Ian Snell says stupid things… (You can add his comments about Braun earlier this season to the list…)
- Former Brewer Russell Branyan is a blossoming star at age 33… I love seeing The Muscle playing well. I hope he can keep it up.
- Former Brewer Keith Ginter is not only (surprisingly) still playing baseball, he’s raking. He is hitting .400/.451/.600 in 75 at-bats this month for the White Sox AAA team. He has not played in the majors since 2005.
- Former West De Pere High School pitcher Jason Berken made his major-league debut on Tuesday night for the Orioles. He allowed two runs and seven hits over five innings to earn the victory.