Who would ever give up the chance to draft the most highly anticipated player since Sidney Crosby? No one, right?
Let's think about the a few key things that give the Leafs a chance to draft Tavares:
1. Islanders are have a poor back end on their club and would more likely draft Victor Hedman as oppose to John Tavares.
2. Tampa Bay have just discovered the Steven Stamkos potential at the end of the season of 2009.
3. The Leafs helped Tampa Bay out with a bit of a salary dump at the trade deadline of 2009.
4. Tampa Bay has poor goaltending and are too close to the cap to do any goaltender remedying by signing a good goaltender free agent.
5. The Leafs have the cap space to take more salary dump from Tampa in exchange of draft choices.
6. The Leafs have some players that will attract attention from many clubs to improve their team.
7. Lastly, Luke Schenn, Luke Schenn would not be as much of a loss as one would think
Imagine if you would.
Let's say the Tavares was in the 2008 draft...You could trade your pick (Luke Schenn) and another draft pick (seventh pick) for John Tavares. Would you not take that?
John Tavares is the kind of player you can build your team arround such as Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, and Joe Thornton. Sign Tavares and then fill in the other spaces.
The chance of John Tavares landing in Toronto is not as small as people are making it. For the first time in a long time, Toronto is in the position to grab a league leading star. Burke will land Tavares on draft day.