After Scott Walker put the Carolina Hurricanes into the Eastern Conference Finals last Thursday, I found myself to lean on the injury-plagued Celtics to carry me through my depression.
Then, Rafer "Skip to My Lou" Allston was hitting three-pointers like they were going out of style on Sunday. The Celtics' loss in Game Seven was "the dagger." I am completely crushed, especially with the Bruins, that the playoffs are over.
So, in my haste, I need to go to my "Happy Place." And stat. What is on my mind, and how do I get it off my chest?
- The Bruins run reminds me of the Red Sox in 2003. There was such a taste of success and no doubt, this team will be back after a bitter defeat. They are young, talented and with more prospects on the way.
- The B's desperately need a tall, banging, scoring winger. An Eric Staal-type of player. That's the Bruins answer for a 'Curt Schilling' type move. No doubt will that put them over the edge. Not that they would get Staal but I'd inquire about Vinny Lecavalier.
- Who don't I want to be right now? That's Bruin GM Peter Chiarelli. Who do you sign? Phil Kessel or David Krejci? Tight cap space. Both are injured and Krejci won't be ready for camp. But, both are restricted free agents. Kessel is a 30-goal scorer, but is weak on defense. Krejci is the playmaker who has a tendency to disappear for a length of time.
- Do the Bruins entertain offers for Patrice Bergeron to free up space? How about Michael Ryder? Both make over $4 million, and that would help the B's sign Kessel and Krejci. How about asking Marco Sturm to lose his no-trade clause?
- Did the Magic expose a big weakness with the Celts this series or what? A true big man on the bench. Without KG and Leon Powe, the C's turned to Brian Scalabrine, Glen Davis and Mikki Moore. Moore? Ugh. He was awful. The C's need to address this problem in the off-season. Sign an Antonio McDyess. Or should I say...Rash-Weed Wallace? Don't knock that thought, Celts fans. Somebody wants to do a one-year deal with a championship contender and resurrect their career. Wallace is that man.
- If I'm Danny Ainge, I'm signing Leon Powe and Stephon Marbury. I might be crazy, but I think Marbury can actually help this team and give Rondo much needed rest at the point.
- If I'm Danny Ainge, I am not signing Glen Davis to a $5 million contract. Let him make that money elsewhere. He's a nice sixth man at best. Davis is not the stud some GMs seem him as. Davis has the propensity to take stupid fouls and errant shots in critical situations.
- What happened to Tony Allen? He played a combined 13 minutes in the Orlando series. He was supposed to be a defensive dynamo. All he turned out to be was a complete disaster. Plus, his off-the-court issues must have the C's management worried
- Rooting for the Cavs to beat the Magic is like rooting for for a seven in Craps or the Yankees to beat the Sox. I can't stand LeBron.
- The Red Sox are inquiring about Victor Martinez? A switch-hitting 1B/C/DH. Makes you wonder, is there something big brewing on 4 Yawkey Way? It could not involve David Ortiz, but how about Mike Lowell? Move Kevin Youkilis to third, Martinez to first. Martinez becomes your third catcher and back-up DH. Mike Lowell is hot, which must mean his trade value is way up.
- The Sox need to shore up shortstop. Although Nick Green and Julio Lugo are hitting well, their defense is killing the Sox. Green has eight errors and Lugo three in 13 games. Lugo has gotten away with more errors as they turned into fielder's choices. Green cost the Sox the last game in Seattle, as he threw one to first that landed in Vancouver. Lugo almost got punched out by Brad Penny when he failed to convert two double plays in two consecutive outings for Penny. Both led to losses. The Sox strengthened that position in 2004 and they need to do it again in 2009. Let me make it clear, Jed Lowrie is not the answer.
- Continuing part of that thought, how awesome would it have been if Penny and Lugo actually dropped the gloves and fought in Cleveland? I'm not opposed to that because Penny looks unstable, capable of snapping a wire, and Lugo needs to get popped.
- Is there nobody worse in the Boston media than Michael Felger? What is this guy doing hosting a baseball show on Comcast Sports New England and WEEI, when he knows absolutely nothing about this sport or anything else outside of football? He's pompous, arrogant and very frustrating to watch. This guy, I believe, roots against Boston teams. "Mr. Baseball" actually had a program on WEEI called "Guys I Would Do." What is that?
- If you haven't checked it out, listen to the story about Cedric Maxwell's "toncillectomy." Absolutely hilarious. Check it out on WEEI.com.