'perfect Play' Gives Indian Soccer Last Minute 2-1 Victory over Seymour

Dee WilcoxAnalyst IFebruary 16, 2017

Bryce Herlong and Colton Clark executed the "perfect play'' at the end of the Jon Metcalf Invitational game between Dobyns-Bennett and Seymour on Friday and it resulted in a final-second 2-1 Indian victory.

The win kept the Indians unbeaten on the season and made them 2-0 in Metcalf tournament play. Herlong had a free kick from mid-field and booted it directly to Clark, who turned and headed it into the goal to give his team a 2-1 lead with "80:00" showing on the clock.

All anyone around could do was stand and watch. It happened so quickly, no defender could react. Seconds later, the ball was placed at midfield and before Seymour got a chance to even move toward a tying goal, the whistle sounded to end the game.

"That's a perfect ball right there,'' said Clark. "It just landed on my head. It was a beautiful ball and it came right at the end of the game.'' Clark said he saw the ball coming and "just went after it and gave it all I've got.''

Herlong said that wasn't the first time this year the two have hooked up on the play. "Down in South Carolina, we played Brookland Cayce and Colton did the same thing,'' said Herlong. "I kicked it to him and he just headed it in.''

David Geno had scored in the 69th minute of the game on a penalty kick to erase a 1-0 deficit that resulted when Ray Menya accidentally knocked the ball into the D-B goal for what is ruled an "own goal'' in the opening minutes of the first half.

"We had a great comeback against Dutch Fork in South Carolina when we scored three goals in the final 17 minutes to win, but I told the team I was even more proud of them for this win,'' said D-B coach Shane Calvert, whose team is now 8-0-3 and ranked as high as No. 11 in Tennessee.

"This pumps us up,'' said Clark. "It showed us when it comes to crunch time against a really good team we can step up and play with the best of them.''

D-B dominated in every way but the score, having 18 shots on goal to just three for Seymour, which had just one shot in the second half.

"The first half was tough,'' said Clark, "because the wind was in our face.''

"I told the guys I was going to take the wind in our face the first half so it would be at our backs in the second half,'' said Calvert.

"It was tiring, going against it in the first half,'' said Clark.

Calvert said Seymour, now 5-2-2, was a really good team.

"I talked to the Seymour team after the game and told them I thought they had a chance to go to state in Class A-AA,'' said Calvert. "The really battled us all day long.''

D-B continues play in the tournament Saturday at 1 p.m., facing Greeneville at Indian Highlands Park. It will be a good test. Greeneville is coming off a 0-0 tie with Science Hill in a game Tuesday night.