The 49ers have suffered on defense the past few years due to an anemic pass rush. They have not only toiled in the bottom half of the league in sacks in recent years, but they never seem to apply constant pressure.
Suffice it to say, there have been far too many third and forever conversions over the past few years as quarterbacks have forever to let the coverage break down. All this led everyone to think a pass rusher would be an area addressed this offseason. But, aside from some undrafted free agents, it wasn't.
The reason why appears to be they idea that they have faith in the players they have, and in a 3-4, that means the OLBs. Specifically Manny Lawson and Parys Haralson. Which is why I have a few questions for the first round pick from 2006:
1. You seemed to be settling in nicely in 2007 before the injury, and many people said it still lingered last year. Have you fully recovered and, if so, when did the healing process end?
2. How did any lingering effects affect your play last year?
3. Which is you're stronger area: coverage or pass rush?
4. How did you feel about all the pre-draft talk about the team going after an outside linebacker?
5. Despite the heavy speculation, the team did not draft an outside linebacker to rush the passer. How did you react to that?
6. Former 49er Charles Haley once said he spent a great deal of time looking at film of other pass rushers to pick up different techniques he could use. Do you tend to study the offensive linemen you will go against and find their weaknesses or other pass rushers to try and pick up different things you can do?
7. Last year, some players on the team sported mustaches to honor the team's past, and this year, the team has changed the jerseys to hearken back to the teams of the 1980's. How much do you feel you know about the team's history and is it important to you?
8. The team now has a different coach for inside and outside linebackers. How do you think that will help you and the rest of the linebackers?
9. How much are you working with new pass rush specialist coach Al Harris?
10. With all of the changes in the organization this past year, what is the biggest change from this offseason compared to last offseason?