Tottenham Hotspur Transfer Tracker: Week of June 17 News and Rumours
The only real news was the annual announcement of the release of those players out of contract—this summer including William Gallas and David Bentley.
Gareth Bale's future continues to grab the headlines, only now he is also being joined by his manager too—more on both can be seen later in this article.
Andre Villas-Boas potentially being targeted by another club has been an unexpected development.
Whatever else happens this week, be sure to check back here for all the latest Tottenham transfer news.
LATEST UPDATE: SUNDAY 23 JUNE
Spurs Willing to Offer Adebayor for Benteke?
Sunday 23 June
While The Mirror reported earlier this month that Spurs would be willing to include Jermain Defoe as part of any deal, Stenson suggests the North Londoners would rather part with Emmanuel Adebayor.
The Serie A club are supposedly preparing an £11 million combined bid for the striker and clubmate Jonathan Dos Santos.
Stammers' notion that Rose "has failed to establish himself at White Hart Lane" is a little wide of the mark though.
The England Under-21 international is expected to stake a claim for a regular starting spot this pre-season, following an impressive year out on loan at Sunderland.
Paulinho Deal Getting Closer?
Sunday 23 June
Paulinho has stated he will decide his future following the conclusion of his Confederations Cup campaign.
The Brazilian, speaking after his country's 4-2 win over Italy in the tournament, is quoted by BBC Sport's Ben Smith as saying "I will only do it after the Confederations Cup because it's hard to deal with all these things."
The 24-year-old had confirmed there had been "an official offer from Tottenham to Corinthians."
"But, as I did when there was an Inter Milan offer, I'll sit and decide with my family before I make any decision."
Saturday 22 June
The Daily Telegraph's Jason Burt believes Tottenham Hotspur have "agreed a deal of more than £15 million" for Paulinho.
There has been no official confirmation, as yet, of the signing. If this report is accurate though, the Corinthians midfielder could be about to become Spurs' first signing of the summer.
Tuesday 18 June
Tottenham could be about to face competition from Inter Milan and Roma for Paulinho's signature.
The Daily Mail's Graeme York says Spurs are preparing a £15 million bid in their attempts to beat the Italian clubs to the signing. They might need to raise their offer as the player has a release clause of £18 million.
Corinthians deputy director Duilio Monteiro Alves has, however, confirmed Spurs' interest.
"Tottenham is a club that we know who has an interest, but nothing official yet," said Alves. "Of course it will come. We expect it in the coming days."
Meanwhile, The Mirror's John Cross and Martin Lipton are also talking up a move for Paulinho.
In addition, their story indicates Villas-Boas remains interested in David Villa and Leandro Damiao.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is also reported to be "keeping close tabs on Blackpool's Tom Ince".
Making room for all these, could be the possible sale of Emmanuel Adebayor to Fenerbache.
Monday 17 June
The Mirror's Ed Malyon reports that Spurs could be a step closer to signing Corinthians and Brazil midfielder Paulinho.
The player is quoted as admitting, "It's true my agent is in England at the moment."
Darren Lewis, also of The Mirror, was among those first talking up a Spurs move for Paulinho last weekend.
Malyon's story leads with Spurs being after another Brazilian—18-year-old Botafogo defender Doria.
Damiao "Happy" at Internacional
Friday 21 June
It has been a quiet couple of days on the Tottenham transfer front, but there a couple of items on Friday worth mentioning (just about!).
"I will leave Internacional one day but there is no offer today and maybe there won't be any tomorrow," said the long-term Spurs transfer target. "I am calm."
Elsewhere, the Daily Star's David Woods reports that Brighton & Hove Albion could be lining up Spurs' Tim Sherwood to replace Gus Poyet as Seagulls manager.
As Woods' story notes, Sherwood could feasibly see his role on the White Hart Lane technical staff diminish, following this week's appointment of Franco Baldini.
In the announcement of the latter's arrival, chairman Daniel Levy indicated Baldini would work with Sherwood. Nonetheless, it is one to watch at least.
Baldini Appointed Technical Director with Villas-Boas Set to Stay
Wednesday 19 June
Tottenham Hotspur announced the appointment of Franco Baldini as their new "Technical Director" on Wednesday, via their official website.
The Italian recently left a similar role at Roma, and among other jobs, also previously served as Fabio Capello's assistant manager for the England national team.
In the announcement, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said Baldini will "strengthen our football management team, particularly in the field of recruitment, working closely with Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood across all levels on the playing side."
Also on Wednesday, backing up Jason Burt's "exclusive" in the Daily Telegraph, Villas-Boas gave the strongest public indication that he will reject interest from Paris Saint-Germain.
Following the revealing of the 2013-14 Premier League fixtures, the Portuguese told TottenhamHotspur.com he was "looking forward to next season."
With the club's management structure seemingly confirmed ahead of the new campaign, we wait now to see how long it will be before Spurs make their first signing of the summer.
Jones quotes the latter's agent, Hissa Moyses, as saying Spurs are "the only contenders" for the Brazilian's signature.
PSG Bid for Bale to Lure Villas-Boas?
Tuesday 18 June
Today, The Guardian's Dominic Fifield has Tottenham are confident of holding onto Andre Villas-Boas, despite the possibility of his representative already having held talks with PSG.
The story also notes that the French club hope to secure an appointment this week that will allow current boss Carlo Ancelotti to leave.
One way or another, we could soon know Villas-Boas's future.
Monday 17 June
The Mirror's Neil McLeman reports that Paris Saint-Germain will step up their pursuit of Andre Villas-Boas by launching an £85 million bid for Gareth Bale.
McLeman believes that Villas-Boas may have already turned down an approach from the French champions. Their hope is by buying Bale, they can convince him otherwise.
Dominic Fifield of The Guardian believes that PSG have not been given a reason not to test the waters in regards to pursuing the Tottenham manager.
Fifield also notes that the Portuguese manager has a buyout clause of £10 million, something the cash-rich Parisians will likely not hesitate to trigger.
Inter's Moratti Confirms Spurs Interest in Guarin
Monday 17 June
SkySports.com is quoting Internazionale president Massimo Moratti as confirming "Tottenham is really interested" in Fredy Guarin.
However, Nadia Carminati and Simone Bargellini's story does reiterate that Inter would be "reluctant" to part with the Colombian midfielder.
Given Guarin only joined the club last year, that is not surprising.
Andre Villas-Boas has links with the player, having managed him at Porto. Whether his pursuit of his former player goes beyond being "really interested" remains to be seen.