With the 2012-13 season firmly behind us, Bayern Munich have already begun their preparations for the next campaign. The Bavarian champions look set to continue adding to Pep Guardiola's arising project to accompany Mario Gotze and Jan Kirchhoff in this new-look Bayern side.
(Last Update: Monday, June 13)
Despite bolstering a squad that many would consider has no equal, the triumphant European champions look set to shuffle their deck and prepare a fresh, new squad for the arrival of their new coach.
As such, the arrival and departure of players is inevitable, with fringe and established player alike being linked with moves away from Munich as well as interesting new faces apparently on their way to the south of Germany.
Click "Begin Slideshow" for a roundup of all the latest rumours involving Bayern transfers, and be sure to come back regularly for more updates.
Arjen Robben may have played a vital role in Bayern Munich's victory over Borussia Dortmund in last month's Champions League final, but speculation linking the player with a move out of the club has continued to surface.
"At the moment it is not an issue that I go. There is no reason. My plan is to stay," was the lambasting remark Robben made to Bild in an interview on June 7.
Still, it stands to good reason that the 29-year-old winger will feature rarely in Pep Guardiola's plans and as such a move out of Munich seems likely.
The Daily Star reported on June 7 that the Dutch international was being used as leverage in a move for Liverpool's Luis Suarez, yet the deal had been put on hold as the Bayern midfielder had no intention of joining the Premier League club.
However, news broke on June 12 when Bayern sporting director, Matthias Sammer, spoke to Voetbal international(Dutch) about Robben's situation, stating that the player would be playing at Bayern Munich next season.
“The truth is, he still has a two-year contract, next season he will continue playing for us,” He said to Voetbal International. "I read a lot of nonsense stories. Arjen has long lacked the recognition [given to other] creative players like Franck Ribery and he will love and appreciation the [fans now have].
Robben says he's staying, and Bayern say he's staying, yet speculation and doubt over the players future at the club still remains. Yet for now the Dutch international looks set to stay put. At least until Pep Guardiola begins to implement any change.
Few players in this current Bayern Munich side represent the fast-paced changes of the Bavarian club quite like Mario Gomez. From record-breaking goalscorer and national hero two seasons ago to languishing substitute, the powerful German striker has found his place at the club all but eradicated in light of the squad's new direction.
The new, exciting football that Bayern Munich used to conquer domestic football this season has no place for an old-fashioned striker like Gomez, and with the arrival of Pep Guardiola all but certain to accentuate that particular brand of play, the striker is all but certain to move on this summer.
With the striker merry-go-round in full swing this summer, a number of clubs have been cited as possible alternatives for Gomez with Napoli and Fiorentina supposedly rather devoted to signing the player.
Despite Suttgarter Zeitung's insistence (German) that the striker wouldn't favour a move to Italy, and Metro recently suggesting the player could make a move to Premier League side Tottenham, Bild have reported (German) that the striker is definitely leaving the Bavarian club, having earlier confirmed that Napoli and Fiorentina have met with Gomez's agent, Uli Ferber, to iron out a deal.
As the agent put it when speaking to Bild on June 3, "For a striker of Mario's goal tally, there is always greed."
However, on June 11 Ferber was asked on whether Fiorentina had won the race to sign the German striker, to which the agent responded "That's not true."
This all came around the same time when Juventus' name was thrown in to the mix, with Kicker(German) suggesting the Italian giants were the best alternative for Gomez, with his agent stating that the club called the player a "very attractive" option.
Whether that greed is enough to convince the striker and his current club to to move on to either England or Italy is yet to be seen.
In what seemed like the most tied-up deal in all of European football, Robert Lewandowski's proposed move to Bayern Munich took a decisive turn for the worst on June 9, when Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc announced that the striker would not be joining Bayern Munich under any circumstances this summer.
Speaking to Kicker (report in German), Zorc said; "We have communicated to the player and his advisers that we will not agree to a transfer to FC Bayern this summer,"
This all came after an interview in Sport Bild (h/t FIFA) with the striker on June 5, where he said: '"I expect everything to be cleared up now so that I will be allowed to move to my dream club this summer. That would be the best for everybody involved."
This invoked a strong response from last season's Bundesliga champions, with Dortmund president Reinhard Rauball responding to the Polish international's desire to move to Bayern two days later, saying: "He is under contract at BVB for the upcoming season, without a release clause, and that is what those responsible for his future have made clear to him several times."
A statement that reads as a clear warning in hindsight.
With the manner in which this transfer saga has rumbled on for the past six months, it would seem foolish to assume that a bold line has finally been drawn under this transfer story. With plenty of time, cash, agents and agendas yet to work their magic before the start of the new season, it wouldn't be surprising if we did in fact end up seeing Robert Lewandowski in a Bayern shirt next season. Despite how unlikely it may seem now.
Aside from all the feverish transfer speculation surrounding the goalscoring aspect of Bayern Munich's evolving side, quiet reports throughout France have suggested that the Bavarian club may be on the verge of submitting a bid for Marseille central defender Nicolas N'Koulou.
The Cameroonian defender has also interested the likes of Monaco, according to Mercato (French), in a move that would likely raise between €14-20 million from the Ligue 1 side.
With the real lack of any definitive partner alongside Dante in Bayern's defence, the need for a confident centre back is necessary. Although Daniel Van Buyten and Jerome Boateng both featured heavily last season in the position, it is unlikely that Pep Guardiola will deem either good enough for a permanent spot.
As well as that, Roman Badstuber—the young German defender who offered so much promise in the heart of his club's defence this season—has been hit with further injury set-backs, keeping him out of any plans for the next nine months.
A capable central defender seems like a smart buy for Bayern Munich this season. And maybe Nicolas N'Koulou fits the bill perfectly.
From one in-demand defender to one who's not quite as well-regarded, speculation over the proposed transfer of back-up full-back Rafinha to his former club Schalke have peaked recently.
With only 17 appearances for Bayern Munich this season, the player is well beyond any regard as a necessary member of the Bavarian squad, and at 27 years old guaranteed first-team football won't be along for much longer.
The proposed move to the Royal Blues came about when the club's chairman, Clemens Tonnies, spoke to TZ (German) about the Brazilian defender returning to his club on June 5.
Speaking to the German website, Tonnies said: "I think after my meeting with Rafi that he's a little far purified. He would like to return to Schalke, here is his family."
With the Gelsenkirchen club certain to invest in the summer in the hope of cementing a strong Champions League campaign next season, backing up any defensive positions would be a wise move.
Even before announcing his desire to leave Liverpool this summer, as reported by The Telegraph, Luis Suarez had already been heavily linked with Bayern Munich over the past few months.
Despite speculation never distinguishing itself from pure rumour—and possible media stirring from his agent, Pere Guardiola (Pep's brother)—the move was touted as early as March 25 by the Daily Mail and followed up by The Telegraph a month later.
In February of this year, the striker was quoted as saying: "If Bayern Munich makes an offer I would certainly be willing to listen and think about it," before adding that it did not mean he had considered leaving Liverpool.
Now that the striker has not only considered but intentionally set about leaving the Premier League club, any potential transfer now falls in to the hands of Bayern's willingness to acquire the troubled genius.
With the recent news that priority signing Robert Lewandowski may not be available till next season, Suarez may well find himself instantly pushed to the top of Guardiola's short-list as the club seek out a new striker to replace Mario Gomez.
At the firm age of 34 years old Claudio Pizarro really shouldn't be a heavy feature in any dealing between Germany's top Bundesliga clubs. Yet with 14 goals and nine assists this season for Bayern Munich, the Peruvian goalscorer has shown up on a number of transfer lists across the country.
Despite his fantastic record last season, the striker is likely to be deemed surplus to demand and will possibly follow Mario Gomez out the door as Pep Guardiola goes searching for more alternative striking options.
With an expiring contract, the prolific goalscorer looks very attractive to most clubs, and the Hamburger Morgen Post (German) was the first to suggest a possible transfer to the northern city, with the striker posing an obvious solution to HSV's likely problem of losing their star striker, Heung-Min Son.
However, a more likely alternative would be that of Schalke—a club that can offer the star Champions League football—as they hope to bolster their attacking strength beyond the inadequate backup forwards of Ciprian Marica and Teemu Pukki.
Speculation surrounding the striker moving to the Royal Blues peaked on May 29, when the club's general manager, Horst Heldt spoke to Bild (German), stating: "He is a great striker. If he does not extend at Bayern, one has to deal with him."
The player has also been linked heavily with a move to Dortmund in the past, but with the recent announcement that the club plan to retain the services of Robert Lewandowski for another season, it would seem unlikely that they would still be interested in the Peruvian as an ample stop-gap.