Larry Jones Prepares for Final Kentucky Derby of His Career

Don QuixoteContributor IApril 30, 2009

LOUISVILLE, KY - APRIL 30:  Larry Jones the trainer of Eight Belles talks with the media during the morning training for the Kentucky Derby on April 30, 2008 at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky.  (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

Kentucky farmer Larry Jones began training racehorses 1982 and, for much of the next 25 years, was unknown to most horse racing fans.

He entered the national spotlight at the 2007 Kentucky Derby as the trainer of eventual runner-up Hard Spun, and instantly became a media favorite.

"He was outspoken, witty, handled all the dumb questions and, every bit as important, wore a different cowboy hat every day," writes Vic Ziegal of the New York Daily News.

Jones returned to Churchill Downs the following year with two star fillies: Proud Spell, who won the Kentucky Oaks, and Eight Belles, the only filly in the Derby field.

Eight Belles ran valiantly, finishing second to Big Brown. However, as she was slowing down after the finish, she broke down and had to be euthanized on the track.

In the media coverage that followed, some unjustly accused Jones of injecting Eight Belles with illegal medication or mistreating her.

In reality, Jones refuses to give his horses steroids and rarely uses legal medication as part of his hands-on training approach that is part old-fashioned and part new-age.

Soon after the Derby, one of Jones’ horses tested positive for a banned substance. Jones, and many others in the racing industry, believed that somebody had injected the horse to discredit him.

Jones believes another one of his horses was tampered with later after he discovered the horse’s mouth covered in blisters.

"I said if someone has poisoned this pony, he’s paying the price for something someone is mad at me about," Jones told reporters. "This horse has not done anything to anybody. Then I knew that night I would quit instantly."

Four months later, at the top of his career, Jones announced he would be retiring by the end of 2009. The 52-year-old cited a desire to spend more time with his family, and expressed frustration with the life of a big-time trainer.

"I have to become a manager rather than being a trainer. That’s what I want to do, is train the horse," he said, adding that he could return to racing on a smaller scale.

He owns horses on his Kentucky farm, and hinted that he would be willing to return to training if one of his broodmares produced a promising horse.

Jones continued training his 2009 Derby hopefuls, but he was forced to scratch Old Fashioned, one of the early Derby favorites, less than a month before the race.

His hopes of winning the Derby in what is likely his final chance now rests on Friesan Fire, a 5-1 shot coming off a dominating victory in March.

However, Rick Porter, owner of Hard Spun, Eight Belles, and Friesan Fire, doesn’t believe Jones is done with horse racing. He told the Daily News, "Retire. Getting out of the game. I don’t care what the hell he’s saying. He’ll be back next spring, when the new 2-year-olds come around."


Article originally published at findingDulcinea.